Existing Member?

Polynesian Triangle

Easter Island (Rapa Nui)

CHILE | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [146] | Scholarship Entry

Visiting Easter Island is like going to a whole different world and it is a travel treasure itself. It is one of the only places out of the Triangle that keep it really REALLY local. No buildings like you see in Hawaii, no fast food chains as in Papeete and no public transport... Hanga Roa is a very small town where you have a couple of supermarkets, some coffee shops and very good food. You will see that the rapanuis (locals) don't wear their shirts on their bodies but on their heads to protect them from the sun while they are riding their horses. And even if they are going to one of the two clubs in town, they'll go by horse and will 'park' it outside.
Walking around Hanga Roa can be pretty fun (you can go by foot everywhere!) but if you rent a bike, it gets better. With a bike you can go all the way around the island and get to Anakena Beach, where you will see lots of rapanuis relaxing, sitting by the hill listening to music and some other ones hand-fishing and having their raw snak by the shore. The island is full of Moais (big heads), one of the biggest attractions on Rapa Nui plus the three volcanos that created the Island long time ago. Don't miss a fun and adventurous hike to Rano Kau's crater, a horse ride to Mount Terevaka's top and an exciting walk around the heads in Rano Raraku volcano. You also don't want to miss the sunrise watching the fifteen Moais (Tongariki). If you have some extra time, take a boat with a local and go sightseeing around the island and to the Motus (small islands near Rapa Nui).
Trust me, you need 5-7 days to enjoy the whole Rapa Nui paradise and it will be something you will never forget!!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About loreto

Volcanic Rocks

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.