Existing Member?

Introducing Our Wedang Ronde I just love traditional food and I want to make you love it too,hha. Traditional food is a identity for me. So aaa... we shouldn't be missed it. Because if we should, God,, we'll never recognize who we are. Don't ever missed your self,oke? ^^

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [110] | Scholarship Entry

It is nice to sit here, in Semawis, an alley located in the Chinatown Gang Lombok, Semarang. Seeing a row of dim yellow lamps lined up neatly on two sides of road, hearing many china people conversing with their distinctive dialect, then watching them preparing their tents, carts, and the tables. Fill it with a variety of snacks and china dishes typical of Semarang. From all of those, Wedang Ronde is a-must-try item here.

Wedang Ronde is a traditional beverage of Java.Wedang in Javanese means drink that made from the steeping water from the grated ginger extract. I started to scoop wedang ronde’s soup. Slowly, throat and my stomach drained of warmth. Then, I began to stir the contents of the bowl. I fill a second scoop with a fruit called kolang-kaling with red color and chewy texture, then followed with a tasty bite of roasted peanuts.

At the bottom of the bowl there are three little white balls, called Ronde. Made from rice flour which contains crushed peanuts inside. When my teeth break the small balls, instantly, the sweet taste of brown sugar will comfortably control the entire oral cavity.

While in China, this menu was usually served when Dongzhi Festival which is the last celebration in the Chinese calendar. Wedang Ronde (Tangyuan) is balls of glutinuous rice flour, served with sweet sauce or meat broth, which symbolize reunion and brightly coloured. White color indicates pure hearts of the Chinese, and other colors indicates that despite the diversity of the Tioghoa embraced various of religions, but it is still be the one to celebrate Chinese New Year.

Chinatown area in Semarang is developing since hundreds years ago, and adapt to the local socio-cultural environment, foster characteristic in it. The architecture of the building, their descentdant, until a mutually china culinary cuisine combined with Java, be evidences of crossbreeding the form of a peaceful meeting at the dinner table.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About lopenlopen


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.