Existing Member?

Magnificent of Bromo

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [173] | Scholarship Entry

Waiting for the sunrise in Bromo Mountains is one of the list from my “20 things to do before my age is 30”. This unforgettable moment happen in March 2010. Lucky me, this year Mount Bromo is close for the tourist because of an eruption.

It took three hours to Penanjakan from entering gate of National Park. This is the best place to see the sunrise and sea of sand from above because Penanjakan is exactly next to Bromo. Not only me and my peer, there are several group of youngster with motorbike from East Java. While waiting, I enjoy bandrek, a traditional-hot beverage made by ginger. By coincidence, short conversation build among us, so typically warm Indonesian. For some of them, this is not only first time they visit Bromo. Frequently they visit Bromo just to escape from their routine and what amaze me, they bring their family with the kids. I can’t imagine the kids can stand in the cold weather.

Like waiting for the countdown of new year, we are waiting the sunrise from 2,770m high of Penanjakan. The sun slowly appear in the horizon and the color of the sky is orange with the accent of green from pine, what a perfect color. The weather suddenly change to warm and the smell of the sulfur spread in thin air that we breathe. The sky is turning blue as the morning arrives.

I decided to go down at the slope of Bromo mountain just want to know how does it feel in the middle of sea sand. And its fascinating me! As far as your eyes can see is just the sand. While I enjoy sight seeing, suddenly my eyes stop at the black stone square temple. Pura Luhur Poten is the name and based on history, this temple build by Majapahit offspring's to do the worship. The atmosphere of the temple is so calm and mysterious. Mixed with the blue sky and gray sand makes me think that maybe this is what we call heaven on earth.

As the air become more thin, I arrive at the top of the Bromo by horse riding. You just to make sure that you are in good health condition because the smell of the sulfur may dangerous. We can see the mount Batok, Arjuno and Welirang arrange side by side. This picture complete your unforgettable memories of magnificent Bromo. This journey take a lot of courage and I feel satisfied can accomplish that. For once in your live you must achieve the target that you set. Surprise with the beautiful thing, and can capture it, just take as a “bonus”.



Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About longitude


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.