Existing Member?

London Calling Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen.

And so it begins...

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 17 March 2008 | Views [669] | Comments [3]

After months of planning, organising, apprehension, excitement and quite a bit of stressing, today is the day that I begin my journey to London.....

8 March 2008

It’s a very sunny day on the Atherton Tablelands and in Cairns which is actually quite a nice surprise.  You see, I’ve been visiting my parents up in North Queensland for about a month and it has rained nearly non-stop since I arrived.  And I’m talking about quite serious rain here; flash flooding...the works.  There’s been no sign of the sundrenched weather that has earned Queensland the saying of “beautiful one day, perfect the next”.  I think Mother Nature has decided to give me a taste of what I’m in stall for in London!!

After doing some last minute packing we head down the hill to Cairns airport and in true form I haven’t bothered to read my itinerary and therefore head to the domestic terminal instead of the international terminal.  Therefore, after discovering that I’m at the wrong terminal and only have 10 minutes before check in, I hustle over to the correct terminal.  Thanks goodness it’s Cairns airport and not Heathrow!! 

Then, after a teary goodbye to Mum and Dad, I get on the plane bound for a 24 hour stop over in Darwin.  Now, anyone from Australia knows how notoriously hot Darwin is and having lived there myself for a couple of years; I know first hand.  But I must be loosing my memory in my old age because I don’t remember it being THAT hot!!  I couldn’t believe how sweltering it was!!!  And the worst thing was, Nathan (my younger brother) and my friend Amanda (who both live there) said that it was a nice temperature and not hot at all!!!!  At this stage I am looking forward to the sub zero temperatures of London!!!

9 March, 2008

But the next day, I did manage to forget about the heat because Nathan and I hired out scooters and zipped around Darwin.  We had so much fun on those scooters!! ....even though I grazed the tips of all of  my toes when I nearly stacked the scooter taking off ....and even though I got sunburnt and therefore have to arrive in London all red and blotchy!!!!  :o)

10 March, 2008

Well after a 19 hour flight and a 4 hour stop over in Singapore, Seil and I arrive in London.  And what greets us? ....a 6 degree, rainy and windy day!!  Welcome to London!!!  :o)  But apart from the weather everything is great.  We’re not too jet lagged and our temporary accommodation is lovely (see the few attached photos).

Well that’s all from me for now.  I hope you’re all well and I miss you guys heaps. xo

Comments

1

you did it! sorry i didn't get back you... so glad you have a blog so i can keep up to date with all your adventures. and when i say keep up to date with your adventures i of course mean read them and then cry myself to sleep at night with a bottle of cheap red wine, wishing i could BE you.

PLEASE FIND ME AN ENGLISHMAN WHO DESPERATELY WANTS AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP.

that is all :-) xx

  ezzie Mar 17, 2008 3:16 PM

2

All looks great and a good way to keep up to date. Sounds like it is all happening!!!! Great talking to you tonight and don't freeze!

xoxoxoxoxo

  Margie Barnes Mar 17, 2008 10:24 PM

3

The house looks great. Glad you are all settled in and don't worry I will be there to see you at some point. I am sure your mum has told you my plans for this year as my mum has told her. If not let me know and I will explain. So hopefully me plus one will be over to visit in 2009.
J

  Janice Mar 19, 2008 2:28 PM

About londoncalling08


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.