Existing Member?

Travel Fairytale

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - New Experiences Open Your Eyes to Thousand Views

SOUTH KOREA | Friday, 15 February 2013 | Views [320] | Scholarship Entry

It was back to 23rd of July in 2012 I finally stepped foot to one of the places I have been dreaming about to indulge since freshman year of high school - it has been my dream to go to Korea I have encountered so many trials to just visit this quaint country up to Far East of Asia. I am born and raised in the basking tropical weather of Philippines a little over 4 hour down of South Korea.

A smell of relief when I was finally stamped in from the immigration of Incheon Airport nearest airport Seoul a little over an hour trip if you ride the AREX line. I booked an accommodation in Hongdae area which is also known as Hongik University Station a famour neighborhood for clubs and bars.

This is my first time staying in a hostel, sharing a room with both men and women. My first night I had two Japanese roommates both guys, 1 of them heading to Oslo in Norway the next day while the other is looking for an action DMZ also known as the Demilitarized Zone a boundary between North and South Korea.

I met tons of people in one shuffle which I meant other than my roommates - five russian girls, two swedish guys, two taiwanese girls and two korean girls. One of my closest is the one of the Korean girl named Anna.

I met Anna while I was preparing for my breakfast over my third day in the hostel, she is from Busan but she knows how to get around in Seoul. We share the same interest which is dogs, art, food and other cool things. The very same day we went for a walk we visited two dog cafes which is Sunnyne Dog Cafe in Hongdae and Bauhaus in Hapjeong while walking we were discussing about things like how's life here in Korea - will you recommend to any people that they leave here and other sorts.

What she told me is only her opinion and I'm free to judge whether if I will agree to her or not. You are foreigner, you won't have hard time mostly but yes maybe like the language barrier and understanding the culture but you will definitely get by. Sometimes they are more opportunities waiting for foreigners than Korean s itself since some people still don't speak the universal language which is English that's why a lot of people here are so eager to learn English even taking chances in overseas just to learn it so the country won't have to source in more expats in the country just to work for them.

You may also find our culture is more complex than the others but we are not selfish people if we see that you are really sincere, you will be welcome, no more question asked.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About loladaisydukes


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Korea

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.