Existing Member?

L&L On the Road Lars & Louise on a world-sampling tour

A Quick Note on Sand, Salt and Northern Chile

CHILE | Tuesday, 14 September 2010 | Views [622]

From Ecuador, we ventured into the north of Chile. We visited the cosy coast town Arica, which is lovely and probably even lovelier in summer time when you can better utilize the gorgeous beach. We took relaxing strolls in the somewhat chilly city instead, ate awesome seafood in the harbor while gazing at sea lions playing amongst the boats, and visited the museum holding the Chinchorro mummies – the oldest in the world with some 9,000 years on their necks. Then we moved on.

We took a night bus to San Pedro de Atacama, known for natural wonders. The Atacama is arguably the driest place on Earth, and dry it was. And salty. We weren’t much impressed with this town or its surroundings to be honest. The town is small and VERY touristy – in Lars words “Not the real Chile”. If you feel like eating pizza this is a place for you. But we had gotten used to eating ‘real’ South American fare, including delicious 2 dollar meals, and this ‘fancy’ food of course got us ill.

 The desert and the valleys are nice, but not too special. Said to resemble the surface of the moon. WE could not really tell, having not been to the moon (yet). There’s also a salt desert here, but it’s covered with dirt and really lame if compared to the Salar de Uyuni in Bolivia, where you can actually see the salt… But as deserts and dry places go, it’s nice enough. For a few days. With dry throats, we continued to Argentina and onto Uruguay, to revive said throats with red wine and juicy steaks! But that’s another story…

L&L

Tags: arica, chinchorro mummies, desert, san pedro de atacama, seafood, valley of the moon

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.