Existing Member?

L&L On the Road Lars & Louise on a world-sampling tour

HCMC & the Mekong Delta

CAMBODIA | Saturday, 23 January 2010 | Views [666] | Comments [1]

Carbon footprints…

We have managed to get all the way to central Vietnam from Moscow over land, using only buses and trains (and a one-off hitch-hiking stretch with a lovely Mongolian family). Except for our little side trip to Japan from Beijing, we didn’t travel by plane at all. Until now. From Hoi An we drove to the airport in Danang and flew to HCMC (Saigon). We loved it here so much that we didn’t want to waste a whole day riding a bus. That we had experienced already, and although it’s comfortable enough, it’s very time consuming. More than three months has already passed, and we feel we need to treasure the tiny nine months left…

 

Ho Chi Minh City

In Saigon we quickly ticked the boxes of the must sees, mainly the independence palace and the cu chi tunnels, used during the war. Then we bid our farewell to Vietnam, after 18 absolutely lovely days. We opted for the most romantic crossing (of course!)  over to Cambodia – a two day boat trip through the Mekong Delta, leading almost all the way to Cambodian capital Phnom Penh. We were riding a medium sized motor boat most of the time, but hopped on and off little row boats that the locals peddled to various sights, including a fishing farm and a floating market. At the end of the day Lars recognized one of the other passengers. It was a guy called Al, who we had shared a taxi with in Mongolia almost three months ago. He had since met up with his girlfriend Sarah and dyed his hair blond, which is why we didn’t recognize him at first. Small world indeed! They had followed a completely different route from us, but still we met up here by chance. We all stayed overnight in the little boarder town of Chau Doc, where there’s absolutely nothing to see, but we managed to find a nice fish restaurant and some cold beers. Early night though, breakfast was at 6.20am the next morning… This turned out to be a lovely early start as it was served on a floating deck where we had an excellent view of the sunrise over the river and the river folks starting their day. 

 

On day two we crossed the border to Cambodia. This was a bit tricky, mostly due to communication intricacies. As most of us felt that we were perfectly capable of handing over our passports our selves, we chose to not pay the ‘visa assistance fee’, but were then apparently not allowed onboard the boat across no-mans land, supposedly three kilometers long. It was actually just about longer than one kilometer and soooo worth that short walk. It was a fascinating no-mans land… It was filled with, well, men. We passed an entire village, which seemed a bit odd. Were they Cambodians or Vietnamese? Does it matter? Do we need nationalities? Can we live here too? Anyhow, after the brisk walk, we found the visa guys in the back room of a café. They had a table, the visa stickers for our passports, and two stamps. After we got the visas - took about two minutes – we went to the office next door and got the visas stamped. Here, the one girl who had paid for “visa services” had to get off the boat and get her passport back from the guide who had gone into the café on her behalf, and then herself hand it over to the officer with the welcome stamp. Oh, and the officials had a box marked ‘Suggestions’ filled with money. I found that a bit funny… After all this, we all boarded a new boat, and settled in for a couple of hours more on the photogenic Mekong River. After a final short journey by mini-bus we had arrived in Phnom Penh. Here we accidentally lost Al and Sarah, as we had asked the tuk-tuk drivers to take us to a hotel that no longer existed (out-dated Lonely Planet, oops…), and thus got dropped off at different places. We hoped that we’d run into them by chance again. The world isn’t that big after all…

 

 

--(@

Lou

 

Comments

1

Wow... You do get around ;)

  Tommy Jan 27, 2010 5:01 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.