Existing Member?

L&L On the Road Lars & Louise on a world-sampling tour

Bright Lights, Big Cities

CHINA | Monday, 7 December 2009 | Views [1386] | Comments [3]

The last two weeks we’ve been touring the major and some medium size (like four or five times the size of Stockholm) cities in China, slowly but surely getting ready to let go of the rail and venture out into the Real China – the rural country side. But first things first – here are our tales of miscommunications and other cultural challenges in China so far:

Beijing

Constant travelling can be exhausting and from time to time it’s really nice to relax in a place that’s familiar. So that’s what we did. Having already done all the sightseeing etc, we just relaxed ‘at home’. Not setting the alarm clock – bliss! This time we even had the heater on in our room! The Chinese government or whoever decides on these matters finally admitted that winder had occurred early this year and hostels, hotels and other establishments were at last allowed to pull the magical switch and Hallelujah, warmth!

Xi’an - China's first historic capital

With recharged batteries we headed off to Xi’an, to see the terracotta army made famous by the Scooby-Doo episode ‘Scooby-Doo and the Year of the Emperor's Dragon’. Wow. It really does exist! We took the night train here – the Chinese trains are a tad bit nicer than the Russian ones we must say… We were sleeping on the top bunks though - three beds up - so I had to quickly overcome my fear of heights. This is where the Russians stored luggage and not people by the way. But then again, I guess Chinese are generally more acrobatic and less drunk… No accidents occurred.

So, the terracotta army was discovered in 1974 when some farmers were digging a well. BIG surprise! They stumble across a huge burial pit belonging to the tomb of the first emperor of China. Unfortunately you can’t see the actual tomb because of all the booby traps including a mercury river and what not, and because of the fact that it’s buried, but you CAN see the life size terracotta figures of warriors and horses arranged in battle formations. They are replicas of the imperial guard. It’s very cool… Go to the first pit last as that will make a splendid grand finale. The other two are not as impressive as most of the sculptures are broken or still uncovered.

Shanghai

We loved Shanghai. It’s great. The first night we did search for the Bund a very long time, having made the rather stupid conclusion that following some German tourists would be the very best way of getting there. We found out a few days later when we were looking for the Old town that they were probably heading there. Oh well. We found the Bund at last, but it was a tad bit late and we had to bribe some guards to let us in so we could take a few unobstructed photos of the skyline on the other side. We enjoyed a very nice meal on the Bund, and then ran into a fellow former SSE student, Atta, in the bar! Small world indeed! This, of course, led to a fab night out.

We stayed at a lovely hostel. The best part was the street vendors outside. They had a wok, a pot of boiling hotpot soup to dip veggies and meats into, and a barbeque – and they could make you anything. For about 50 pence or 5 SEK a pop. Heaven. Some of the days we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there. And why not? Greeeat food, cooked right in front of you, so very safe as well. Yum!!

What else did we do in Shanghai? Oh yeah… Lars found a cheap printer and printed some Spanish course. It was like watching a kid with a wad of cash in a candy store at Disney Land, on X-mas eve. High on Ecstasy. No kiddin’... :)

Hangzhou and Xiamen

On December first we finally bid farewell to Shanghai as we had a hot weekend date in Hong Kong and needed a few days to get down there. We took the express train to Hangzhou and spent the afternoon on the West Lake – beautiful! Very serene. One day is enough though. We jumped on a bus seeming to go in the right direction towards the train station, but the bugger turned and we ended up in Hammersmith. Took a 40 minute cab ride back (about GBP 5) and made our night train to Xiamen, very nice coastal city. We only had two days here which was a bit regrettable. We spent one of those days on the so called Piano Island where no motor vehicles are allowed. And we have finally reached warmer climate! No need for five layers of clothing anymore! Food – mostly seafood of course - was also great. We could evidently not understand the menu, but tried to point to what others were having. Well, on one occasion Lars pointed at two dishes plus rice. We ended up with three different dishes – not one resembling what Lars had chosen… Still haven’t worked out what happened there. Not as obvious as the times we have gestured for the bill and received a pen and some paper to write on. Or when I pointed first at some live crayfish and fish, and then at some pictures of dishes trying to explain that we wanted our seafood and fish cooked up in some sauce of their choosing. We of course got fish, crayfish and four other dishes served to us. The meal(s) was very yum though! In the place where Lars had done the unambiguous pointing we also ordered beer – one of few things we can say in Chinese – which our server got from another restaurant. Total cost for this feast? 29 yuan. Less than three pounds. China is great.

Hong Kong

Getting to Hong Kong by train would take about 30 hours from Xiamen as the costal train line isn’t the best, going up in the mountains and stopping a lot etc. We opted for the night bus. Ten hours, should be no problem. And we arrived safe and sound. Of course, not really well rested. On the seats just around us we had three kids (high risk mini-people) of which one REALLY didn’t like riding a night bus, one (adult) snorer and one (also adult) sleep-talker. Not like winning the lottery… But the bus was very nice with big wide seats and a good inclination for sleeping. If you could manage it.

We arrived, I had a nap, Lars studied some Spanish, and then we met up with our good friend Olof for a fantastic night out together with a bunch of his friends. We had a very nice meal at a Cantonese restaurant and then went to a club with the most amazing view! Hong Kong is immense. All other cities are just city-wannabes. It’s a must see. The day after, after finally sleeping in properly, we had some dim sum and saw a few more parts of the city, and ended up in a sky bar just in time for the fab ‘Symphony of Lights’ show – a show of lasers and search lights and lights on the building facades on more than 40 sky scrapers on both sides of the Victoria harbor. It’s even better if at the same time enjoying the synchronized sound track playing in some of the bars. Finished off with another incredible meal – our host apparently wanted to see if we could handle spicy food - but no clubbing. It was a school night for some ;)

Soon (we’re only allowed a week in Hong Kong without a visa) we’re leaving the civilization of China’s big cities, and heading out into the even more unknown.

 

--(@

Lou

 

Comments

1

Alla som läser är mållösa :)

  Hans Dec 9, 2009 7:07 AM

2

Hej L o L!
Jag följer med stort intresse Er resa. Visst är Kina intressant och Kineserna tycker jag är jättemysiga och vilka häftiga städer.
Förra söndagen kom jag hem från Laos. Jag flög till Hanoi (intressant stad) gjorde utflykt till Halong Bay (en av världens vackraste platser), åkte buss 24 timmar (en verklig upplevelse) till Ventianne (småmysig huvudsta) åkte lokalbuss 5 timmar till Viang Veng (hålligångställe), åkte minibuss 6 timmar till Phonsavanne med Krukslätten (tråkig stad men Krukslätten var mycket intressant) åkte minibuss 8 timmar till Luang Prabang (här kan man stanna länge) fortsatte två dagar med båt uppför Mekongfloden till den gyllene triangeln (Burma, Laos Thailand), åkte nattbuss till Bangkok för att flyga hem därifrån.
Fint väder, trevliga människor, storslagen natur, billigt och god mat kan man önska sig mera?
Ha en bra fortsättning på Er resa och GOD JUL och GOTT NYTT ÅR.
Erik

  Erik Rydin Dec 20, 2009 3:55 AM

3

Hej Erik,

Det var intressant att lasa lite om din resa till Laos. Louise och jag ar dig hack i halarna nu. Vi har just aterkommit fran Halong Bay dar vi tillbringade tva dagar och en natt. Det var mycket trevligt och vackert tyckte vi. Tyvarr var det lite disigt nar vi var dar, men det ar verkligen storslagen natur. Jag tog resans forsta havsbad i bukten. Det kandes fint, aven om det kanske inte direkt var nagon tropisk varme.

Hoppas att ni skall fa en riktigt skon jul i Avesta. Halsa sa mycket till Eva-Britt och Per!

Halsningar
Lars och Louise

  L o L Dec 24, 2009 3:08 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.