Existing Member?

Birds of a Feather

Flock Together

USA | Wednesday, 29 April 2015 | Views [122] | Scholarship Entry

A road trip... through the Southwest, hitting Flagstaff AZ, Reno NV, Spanish Fork UT, Salinas CA... the sundown town of Jasper TX. Landscapes that have inspired great literature and journalism, from John Steinbeck and Denis Johnson to Norman Mailer and Joan Didion. And to jump from motel to motel, eating in diners that could have been anywhere... With people who could have come from anywhere. Driving a rusted hulk of a car, a Thunderbird or AMX, criss-crossing the interstate. An exploration of desire in America, and how these locations... Roswell, Las Vegas, Salinas... how they generate desire, how they contain desire, how they shape desire. And to sit with these people who could have come from anywhere... why are they in Roswell, Las Vegas, Salinas? Where do they come from, and where are they going? And to walk into the types of Southwestern towns where all the buildings face an old water tower, to walk through Otero County, the eastern crust of Alamogordo, the southern expanse between Roswell and Artesia... that would be perfect.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About logogramia


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.