Existing Member?

Those who wander are not always lost....

Living la Vida Loca

SPAIN | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [145] | Scholarship Entry

I'll never forget the day I left South Africa for Barcelona the city of acceptance. With my feet firmly on Spanish soil I looked around in wonder at the bustling streets with it's frenzy of shoppers, sunburnt tourists and French bulldogs. Having studied Spanish for months before my trip I was disheartened when I hardly understood anything! I did not let this deter me from getting lost in the narrow winding streets of the gothic area which soon made the lack of understanding insignificant. Random shops were in abundance and a travellers goldmine with their affordable prices.

Spanish family owned tapas bars on every corner added to the aroma of deliciousness that followed me where ever I went. With mouth watering delight I bit into caramel filled churos whilst admiring the architecture of Gaudi and the mosaicked walls of this wildly eccentric city.

A walk along Barceloneta beach is a must for those who enjoy seeing bronzed perfection enjoying gym workouts in front of the celestial calming waters of the Mediterranean. Skate boarders and cyclists whip past every nanosecond whilst you're doing your best to avoid Frisbees and roller bladers The energy is incredible and one does not tire for a second watching all the endless fun.

For a more relaxed walking experience Park Cuitadella offers wonderful pathways alongside fountains with happy ducks and geese frolicking in the waters. A shady patch of grass offers a great seat whilst watching passers-by. Great shopping ensues as you leave the park and enter the area of Arc de Triomf.

Nightlife in Barcelona to my dismay only begins at 12am in the morning but the numerous clubs in Barcelona caters for all types from bohemian to commercial. A night out on the town can end up being a whole week, time seems to stand still here....

During my time in Barcelona I have met people such as my myself who came to this beautiful city and find it impossible to leave. Barcelona welcomes all travellers whether they come to find themselves or lose themselves.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About loca_lulu


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.