Existing Member?

Journeys Following my passion!

Damascus: Jewel in the Desert!

SYRIA | Friday, 17 April 2009 | Views [1926]

What an amazing, fabulous and exotic city! We started with the tiny St Pauls chapel, set in the ancient city walls. What a charming little shrine. The National Museum is full of archaeological treasures and gave us a brief insight into approx 4000 years of the history of Syria, in a nutshell. It has given us an insight of what we can expect in the next couple of weeks that we will be travelling around Syria. Its not long before we are out in the rain, and its getting colder and colder. Almost suspect it could snow! Well, what's a group to do? Leave it to Jaseen, he's always full of bright ideas! Take us for a walk in the old souk. Round and round the medieval labyrinth of alleyways designed to confuse the silly tourists! How do the locals find their way around this place, all enclosed within the ancient city walls? I love it!!  The lavishly decorated 18th century Azem Palace is amazing. Reminded me a lot of the Topkapi Palace in Istanbul. Lots of marble and very beautiful Arabian architecture. The Umayyad Mosque is pretty impressive but most of all I loved the tiny little chapel of Ananias, who set up the Christian Church in Damascus, when the Christians were being persecuted, so they went underground.

Dinner tonight at the Omayyad Palace Restaurant, also in the old City. Being in the Muslim sector of the old city, no alcohol but zero percent beer. We really should start finding little restaurants in the Christian sector.  Tonight they also had Whirling Dervishes of the Sufi movement. Its a fascinating philosophy! Again, the food was out of this world!

Another exciting day.

 

About lizcotton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Syria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.