Existing Member?

Journeys Following my passion!

Aleppo: Syria

SOUTH AFRICA | Sunday, 5 April 2009 | Views [381]

I have just read that Aleppo, also vies with Damascus, Cusco (Peru), San'aa (Yemen) and Varanasi (India) for the oldest, longest continuously-inhabited city.  All these ancient civilisations (Egyptians, Incas, Mayans, Aztecs, Sumarians etc) across the planet, no communication and not knowing that there was anybody else out there. The world must have been a beautiful place at the birth of civilisation. Those ancients were brilliant! They were architects, builders, artists, astronomers, scientists, mathematicians, ship-builders and sculpters.  And, by strange co-incidence they all calculated/predicted the exact same date for the end of the world (21 December 2012). And now, these amazing places filled with history are a sprawling mass of humanity, overtaken by a rash of urbanisation and poverty. Slowly but surely, the more one travels, the more the pieces of the puzzle start falling into place. This is Mesapotamia, the Cradle of Civilisation.  As my trip draws closer and I do more reading, I begin to realise just what an an awe-inspiring part of the world this is. This is my job, this is my Life.  This is surely my passion. 

 

About lizcotton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.