Existing Member?

Viva La Hedonism

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [105] | Scholarship Entry

The New City of Love and Two-faced Oporto

Some people might say, well who am I kidding everyone thinks that Paris is the city of love. In a way it is true but I have found a new competitor – Lisbon. It is a perfect place to take your girlfriend for the first holiday together. Although I wouldn’t suggest to go to there if she is on a diet.

It is a mix of everything you can find in Europe. It reminds me of Warsaw and at the same time it might look similar to Marrakech, you can feel the Parisian love floating in the air, be served with Spanish manners and shoot by caffeine injection as a true Italian coffeeholic.

The two-faced city Oporto gives you a totally different picture of Portugal. Lonely and dark in the moonlight and wine culture surrounded by poetic bridges while walking on sunshine. This is the city with the golden river, ceramic history and Francesinha.

Who is this mysterious ‘lady’ – Francesinha? Simply The Queen of sandwiches within mix of various meats inside and poured over with molten cheese. The Queen is wearing secret souce and goes along with fried potatoes. Surprise, surprise – they are not eating oranges and sardines all the time.

One more thing, never bet a Portuguese man that you can eat the whole Francesinha at once or drink the bottle of Port wine alone. It takes time, be patient. Prepare yourself, chill a bit and enjoy it slowly. The Jagger may have his moves but Portugal has its own challenges.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About liveitup


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.