Existing Member?

Trekking to Everest Base Camp 2016 Climb every mountain till you find your dream!

Training is drawing to a close as the Trek to Everest Base Camp approaches

IRELAND | Friday, 8 April 2016 | Views [300]

Well, I know I haven't posted much since my initial introduction to World nomads but I thought I'd document how things are going. I have been training every week with the programme now consisting of walking each day for up to seven hours. I put any anxieties about the trip to the back of my mind and concentrated on the trekking and hiking so that if I felt I was as prepared and fit as I possibly could be I would definitely enjoy the trip all the more. My what a wonderful time I've had and I've gotten to know how to push out the bounderies. 

When I started my training I hiked in the beautiful Wicklow Mountains on mostly waymarked routes but as I needed to increase my time in the mountains for up to 7 hours as part of my training my days took me further into unknown territory. I was a little anxious heading off the beaten track but as I am also in the middle of completing my Mountskills Assessment with Mountaineering Ireland, off the path I had to go. 

So I've been to Tonelagee, Camaderry, Lugduff, Brockagh, Derrybawn, all over the Glendalough National Park, Greystones to Bray, the Sugarloaf and will have completed the Wicklow Way in the next two weeks and the legs have stood the test of all the exertion. I have trained in snow and ice, blizzards, stormy and seriously windy weather and beautiful still days where the birds sang and the rivers babbled their way to keep me company. I've seen red grouse, many herds of deer, rabbits and hares, badger's sets, tadpoles and all because I got the foot outside the door and went hiking.

I have just two weeks left now and then off to the Himalayas and I certainly will drop a line or two about my travels.

Treasa Earls

About liveanddream


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.