Existing Member?

One life, live it.

Have you found your Peter?

USA | Tuesday, 15 April 2014 | Views [95] | Scholarship Entry

Have you ever wondered what people in the different parts of this world are doing? Have you ever thought about having fun making friendships with people who speak different languages from yours, or even having fun trying to understand each other with no oral languages? I have thought about that and I was wondering if it could happen, being friends with people around the world regardless of our differences.
December 5, 2009 I was in Boston, U.S.A waiting for the train at Harvard station that would take me back from my own solitary trip. It was snowing outside, I remembered. I saw one guy sitting and playing his guitar at the corner of the seat. We looked at each other by chance, “Do you need a friend?” I asked him, he nodded. I didn't know why I got myself and my backpack moved and sat next to him. His name is Peter, Russian guy with strange English accent. According to my not-well-enough English, I didn't quite understand what he was talking to me, but I did feel that his music was alive and he looked so happy playing his guitar. I started singing in my language, which is Thai and surprisingly, he was trying to play his guitar catching up the song’s rhythm. We rarely talked but we were happy sitting and singing together. I stopped singing because I realized that people who were also waiting for the train were looking at us, then one couple sitting next to me said “Come on, keep going. It was good.” We laughed and started singing again. I got him a postcard and shared him a bar of chocolate. We ended our good time with a hug. I got on the train going back home with the most precious memory I have ever gained which I'll never forget.

Once I asked myself if people around the world could be friends even though we are different from each other, I got the answer. I don’t know if Peter is still playing his guitar at Harvard station, I don’t know if we would be able to sing a song together again on the snowing day, but I do know that I was taught by him to be grateful for a friendship that has nothing to do with any differences. I wish people will meet their own Peter and get that same answer like I got, so that they would be thankful for the differences that brighten our world.

Thank you, Peter. I will never forget the day that I've found you as my inspiration. (:

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About livealifeyoudreamof


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.