Existing Member?

Betsy all around the world

The first time I touched the sky

PERU | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [164] | Scholarship Entry

I had less than a year, working for this NGO, when I was assigned a trip to Peru. My father's family is Peruvian, and none of us had never been there. That’s why, I decided, to take my dad on this adventure with me. Not only to meet his family, but to discover together the sacred city of Machu Picchu.

I think Machu Pichu will never be as you read in books, or as you can see on photos. I think you have to be in front of this magic city, to experience the immensity and power it represents. The journey from Lima to Machu Picchu is long and exhausted. First stop, Cuzco. Is a small but really beautiful city. Steeped in history and traditions, where you can actually see the peruvian "cholitas" and her long braids, colorful ponchos and skirts. Gives the feeling that technology has resisted entering these cultures. At night is adorable, and Peruvian food is one of the best I ever had. Strong and spicy flavors with plenty of seasoning. My dad and I managed to get a table in the resaturant of Gaston Acurio, the best date I've ever had.

From Cuzco to Aguas Calientes is about 3 hours by train. From there, you can see snow-capped peaks, and large areas of mountains. The Andean Cordillera at its best. The first bus to Machu Picchu leaves at 6 am, the road is in zigzag and you cannot see a thing.

Two planes, a train and a bus, it was worth it for what we were about to see. It is an energy and an incredible majesty that I cannot describe with words. You can almost hear the silence. Large and perfect constructions with an amazing view. The Incas were architects, mathematicians, astrologers and physicists. Great masters.

Within Machu Picchu is the Huayna Picchu or "Young Mountain". Getting to the top is a challenge. The journey is dangerous and exhausting, and takes about an hour of climbing. But, once you are on the top, was worth all the effort. The tranquility, peace and connection that you feel with the earth and the sky is incredible. Touching the clouds with your hands, and feel part of it. Look down gives you vertigo, but look up gives you happiness. It was the first time I touched the sky, and my dad was next to me.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About live-love-learn


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Peru

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.