Existing Member?

Live little. Stay less

It could have been a breathtaking scene

TURKEY | Sunday, 11 May 2014 | Views [176] | Scholarship Entry

Against strong winds, the rusty motorbike kept climbing uphill, curving the pavement that lady Moon had put down her silky carpet just for us. Suddenly the wind was gone and the light was left behind. Danger filled the air as darkness filled my eyes staring at the biker, a foreign man I met just an hour ago. Round and round goes the tires into the wild as scary thoughts entered my mind. How did I end up here?

Just an hour ago, I was sitting at the empty bus station exhausted after 8 hour squeezed on a crowded cooler-free coach. Any minute now a friendly host would pick me up and take me to a booked hostel room, offering me beef kebab and chai tea. Dragging me out of my day dream was a rough man with tanned skin and nasty beard. There was no social conversation. He just appeared facing me and jumped right into his intention: “Do you want to go up that mountain and see the lake at night? It’s beautiful!”. Within milliseconds, my adventurous heart was battling with my sore body whether I should go with him or not. As always, my wanderlust won. I could make any sense out of my mind, an instant YES slipped out of my mouth. Leaving 20 pounds of luggage at the counter, here I went with heavy backpack and sneakers on. Little did I know what was in that quick blink between two total strangers who made the gas tank full for the trip. Without giving it a second thought, I got on the road with him, imagining the fantasy scenery of silvery moonlight over the twinkling water. Yes, it’s beautiful!

And then there were us on the rocky bumpy road going nowhere. We were only half way there when my mind got messed up with all the worst scenarios could happen to a lonely girl at night like this. I was chicken out and ask him to ride me back with a “truthful” lie about my tired body. The air was thicken as he tried to change the destination to a restaurant but I commanded to go back. As if I was dumb enough to believe there would be any fancy dinning place on this dark pass. He was pissed off and speeded up all the way down. Every single turn would gave me feeling that we would crash the side fence and die.

My host got me off the bike with anger: “ Are you crazy? Do you know it’s dangerous?”. Then, he turned to the biker with strong words in Turkish that I did not fully understand. I moved on without turning back to ask if the strange biker would go for dinner.

And yet, my only thought was just regret that I did not see that beautiful lake. It must be breathtaking!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About littlenhi


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.