Existing Member?

KOrea - Hanging in the south with little Kim's big brother South East Asia, Nepal, Korea

flying lizzard and the hair caterpiller

MALAYSIA | Friday, 8 May 2009 | Views [417]

well we just completed a savage burn around our current home island, palau langkawi on our rented motorbikes. the aim was an expedition out to a huge cable car gondola thing that we didnt go on yesterday because it disappeared into a cloud bank, and mok is scared of heights if he cant see the ground. some odd medical condition. so the rains have been easing for the past 3 days, and this morning dawned pretty fine and hot. we raced hell for leather along the jungle road to find the cable car closed inexplicaby. apparently it closes at any hint of rain or wind, prolly for the best, as it is fuckin high, and i dont really trust these peoples saftey precautions (although malaysia is pretty westernised). we hopped back on the bikes and cruised another few kilometres further into the jungle and came upon a waterfall thing that was up a steep track. some germans walking down looked exhausted. i asked them how far to the top, and she replied 1000 metres or so. very german :) as we walked up we witnessed a new species of jungle monkey jumping/falling (not too sure which) out of a tree, a flying lizzard (!!!) a non flying lizzard, 2 of the hairiest caterpillers that ive ever seen, and an ant carrying a potato chip on its back. karl pilkington would love this place. there is a sign at the bottom saying that the government is not responsible for any deaths in the park, and just beond the sign was a massive freshly fallen tree across the track. i see the reason for the sign though, just downstream from the waterfall is a flat(ish) and slippery(ish) piece of rock that rolls undulatingly downhill for about 50 metres, with the water flowing over it, ending in a pond and more rock. its too inviting to pass up, so i did a few trial runs at the bottom before mashing it from about halfway up. it was freaking awesome, but not worth the massive wrist/tailbone/head damage that fucking up would cost. we cruised around for a bit longer and found another waterfall that we took some photos of that would be awesome album covers for some strange new breed of experimental punk band. some bemused locals gathered around, wondering what these strange white monkeys were doing.

About lissahirst


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.