Existing Member?

Powder Queen

I'll Never Forget The Day That The Powder Came

CANADA | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [100] | Scholarship Entry

There is only one other thing that gets me as excited as having a boarding pass and bag in hand and that is skiing. So it only seemed fit that I moved to the country where Poutine is considered a national food and hockey players throw more punches than passes, Canada.

During my first trip to Jasper, Alberta it was all about exploring. The village, the restaurants and of course the mountain. Our first day up the mountain was powder haven and we were later told that it was the best dump they had all season. I guess the snow God's favour me, but I wasn't ready to brag I was ready to ride. The butterflies were in full flutter as the Marmot Basin shuttle bus turned the last corner and pulled up next to the ticket office. After my ticket was hooked on my zipper my eyes almost out skied my legs as I made my way to the bottom chair.

The chair felt like it was moving slower than the slowest setting on my Grandfathers mobility scooter. As we approached the exit ramp my stomach re-erupted with butterflies, this was my moment. I had envisaged this day, dreaming of powder and carving my own tracks down the slope, my days of wishful thinking were over. This was it. I swiftly left the chair behind and emerged into a breath taking view of snow covered evergreens and a white ground that sparkled effortlessly under the rays of the sun. The powder beneath my feet was more delightful than any snow I'd touched before in all of my 15 years of skiing. Life was good. This was living.

My skies slid gracefully down the slope as snowflakes danced in my wake. Turn after turn, jump to jump, this is what it feels like to fly with both feet on the ground. I was home. Skiing is my drug. I am addicted. Through thick and thin we will never part, no rehab councillor could separate us. It is my fire, no one will ever be able to put out the flames.

Skiing is the ultimate form of exercise and after a big dinner you are physically exhausted and ready for bed. As I crawled back to my room, ready to fall into a deep food coma, I was granted access by the green light on my door who gave me the go ahead click to enter. As I rag dolled into bed I pulled my sheets up around my head and my eyes close ready to fall into a deep, undisturbed sleep. As my muscles relaxed one by one my mind drifted back to the day that was. One of exploration and discovery, appreciation and flawlessness.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lisarhammersley


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.