Existing Member?

World Focus

My Scholarship entry - Seeing the world through other eyes

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 19 April 2012 | Views [125] | Scholarship Entry

While I have lived in many places and travelled to a number of countries, my heart has never been lost to any one place in particular – ie until I discovered Bali.
I had no desire to go to Bali and after visiting Egypt some years ago was even more convinced that Third World countries were not my scene.
Never say never. A friend talked me into going to Bali in 2010 and I simply fell in love with the place.
I found the whole Bali experience - the people, the culture, the food and the climate – one that has changed my life.
In May last year, I returned to Bali for six months and have learnt so much about another culture as well as about myself. I have expanded my horizons and embraced a number of new ideas, new creative arts and opened up a vista of new opportunities.
The Balinese people are a delight, still naive in so many ways and so blessed with a spirituality that absorbs their whole life. This is reflected in their temperament, manners and in the way they care for each other. No road rage, smiles all round and a willingness to help and to serve.
The country has captivated my heart, from the terraced rice fields to the jungle areas to traditional Balinese villages. All have imprinted themselves on my being and I feel totally at home in this unique atmosphere. I have found a niche for myself in this wonderful culture.
My return to Australia was a hard decision, but it was inevitable that I leave this magical place.
However, I will return to Bali where I left my heart - this year and the one after and .........

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About lioness


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.