Existing Member?

Dear Journal, Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness, my natural heat? - Agador Spartacus, The Birdcage

La Laguna Chicabal

GUATEMALA | Wednesday, 23 January 2013 | Views [489] | Comments [1]

I have yet another adventure to share without the aid of pictures. Yikes! I failed to recharge my camera battery this time. So once again I´ll have to ask you all to use your imaginations, or at least google Chicabal to see an actual image.

This past week began my official obsession with salsa dancing. I took private lessons for five days and now feel like an expert and total spaz at the same time. Yet I bravely ventured out to the salsa clubs on Wednesday and Saturday nights to practice my new skills. And what happened? I managed to get stuck dancing with the one Guatemalan who can´t salsa. So instead we both worked on our Gangum style. Now that is a dance that neither North Americans nor Guatemalans can do!

On Sunday I traveled with a small group of studens from Celas to hike to the sacred La Laguna Chicabal. This is an extremely important landmark for those of Mayan ancestry as well as for people seeking physical and emotional healing. Around the lake are different Mayan altars where ceremonies are performed, each representing a different number and Nahual (animal spirit) from the Mayan calendar. 

To get to the lake we first hiked up to the top of Chicabal and enjoyed the beautiful view of several volcanoes. After ten minutes of rest we witnessed the volcano Santiaguito suddenly erupt. It was amazing! The natural wonders of Guatemala truly are not to be missed. We then hiked down about a million wooden steps to the lake. And I was in heaven. The energy there is so peaceful and quiet - I wanted to just lie down, close my eyes, and stay forever. We walked around the lake and even stopped for a few moments to watch a man performing a ceremony, asking for rain. I did look for the animal spirit for people with camera troubles, but alas, it does not exist.

We made it back to Xela ( via two chicken buses and a van CRAMMED with people) around 3pm for a late lunch at The Taqueria. It was such a fun way to end the weekend! Back at home I took my usual tepid, low pressure shower and dove back into my dictionary. I awoke around 4am to the sound of roosters and firecrackers, both of which have no business going off that early in the morning. Ahhh, me encanta Xela!

Comments

1

Linds. I love reading your posts. I've missed you and thought of you so often. The cities lacks some luster since you left. Happy belated birthday! I love you .

  Lars Feb 5, 2013 1:12 PM

About linsthompson2


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.