Existing Member?

I strive to be a traveler, not a tourist.

Background for my Perspective

BELGIUM | Friday, 21 October 2011 | Views [331]

I've done so much traveling before starting this blog that I thought it would be a good idea to begin with a holistic view of some things that my experiences have taught me. 

(This site will not let you update the "Where I've Been" category until you blog about a location, but in addition to Australia it should include The United States, Canada, England, France, Monaco, Belgium, The Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Italy, Greece, and Turkey.)

My life altering cross-cultural experience occurred when I was 14. It was visiting close friends who had moved to Belgium the summer before I entered high school. They had already embraced the European lifestyle. Staying with them taught me to open my eyes. To see how day-to-day life varies in different cultures, but functions just as well, if not better. That experience made me realize how little I really knew about the rest of the world, and how much I wanted to learn.

There are so many opportunities to experience new things (even on a local scale), but they will entirely pass you by unless you’re willing to accept them. Traveling will only have as much of an impact on you as you allow. It can be a challenge, but try to let go of what you know, and your notions of what you think should happen.  Learn to be flexible. If you’re searching for something specific then odds are that you’ll miss out on some pretty spectacular things that are right in front of you.

Remember to slow down the pace. Sit down at one of those cafes that line the streets in westernized countries (and enjoy your coffee without looking at your watch four times). Even if you have limited time in an area, you won’t have any truly meaningful experiences if every minute is rushed. It is too easy to get caught up in a schedule and loose sight of what your trip is really about.

Traveling can be a great journey of self-discovery. When you’re out of your comfort zone away from family, friends, food you love, your normal routine, and activities you’ve been immersed in for years, you start over from scratch. In your new surroundings you gravitate towards what intrigues you, what makes you feel comfortable. This gives you a chance to really evaluate and determine what your interests and values.

 

Words of advice? I suppose that I have a few…

 

Venture off the beaten path. Put down those guidebooks. If you strictly adhere to the printed page then could see virtually the same things without experiencing the jet lag by watching the travel channel or in a documentary. Make your trip your own.

Let Google become one of your best friends. Seriously. It’s a way to find hole-in-the-wall type places or activities that will appear to you and not necessarily thousands of tourists. In Tasmania some of my favorite pictures were taken at the “Tessellated Pavement.” We would have skipped over that stop if we hadn’t done an image search on Google for good places in Tasman National Part to watch the sunrise.

Meet a local. This is the best way to really experience the essence of a new culture. They can show you places that you would have never found on your own. No you can’t trust everyone you meet, but use your judgment.

Make the most of every situation, good or bad. No matter how rough something seems, it could always be worse. If you don’t like how a decision turned out don’t be too hard on yourself. Definitely don’t let it ruin the rest of the day, or trip! There’s always next time, or another place. 

 

 

 

About lindseyfreson


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.