Existing Member?

My Wonder Discoveries

Bruno

KENYA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [264] | Scholarship Entry

A Gem Indeed.

It had been a lazy week, the kind after which you crave a weekend get-away. A couple of friends and I settled on Crayfish in Naivasha town, 77kms from Nairobi and just two hours away. Crayfish is situated at the edge of Lake Naivasha, with a beautiful camp site, rave club, swimming pool, horse and boat riding and homely cottages. It was the ideal place to unwind.
I love camping and on our arrival I mostly cared for the bonfire. Bonfires are magical, like baby fireworks especially when it starts to flicker. Like little bright space objects in the night sky. How about the sparks it creates, the sensations it makes us discover within and of course the warmth. So amazing. Barbecue and drinks were going round as we gathered round the bonfire. Then, the games began, the energy was lifted, the sensations were released, the night was ecstatic, I was in great company. The night was cool. I decided to walk towards the lake but remembered the hippos were roaming the shore that hour. I sat on a bench nearby and enjoyed the light breeze. Suddenly, I felt something. I was startled, and then it pushed closer. I turned to look, a Leon-burger. Oh he was sweet. I picked him up and sat him (Yes it male) next to me. He lay there, snuggling close and I enjoyed every moment of stroking him. for the moment he was there, I didn't feel the chill of the night even a bit. Each of us was lost in their thoughts, away from the flicker of the bonfire but enjoying each others’ company. Being there for each other made it worthwhile.
‘Linda with dogs,’ that was Eric disrupting my line of thought; ‘I see you never stopped loving them.’ He said joining us on the bench.
‘Well, they never stopped loving me, ‘I replied, smiling and once again stroking my new found friend. We sat there for a while and I didn’t notice when he slipped away.
Mid- day the next day, we were preparing to leave. I looked up and there he was, running towards our camp site. I had my arms wide open when he
came close to the amazement of my friends. They couldn’t understand. Well, I couldn’t explain it myself. As I stroked him I knew I will miss him. I cherish that moment. As we left, no one noticed my wide smile, I could have been high for all they cared. Well, Bruno is that friend I met in the silence of night. Among all the beauty surrounding Crayfish, he is the one reason why I will be going back- soon. I’ll come back with a picture this time.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About linda3-discoveries


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.