Existing Member?

love for beach, mountains, falls, rivers, lakes, caves, people, and myself

Lighting up the Schwedagon Pagoda

MYANMAR | Friday, 11 April 2014 | Views [192]

It was about 4pm when we reached the Schwedagon pagoda. After less than an hour going around the structures, I was left nothing to do. We were also waiting for the dark, as the Pagoda looked nice when lit.

 
 I saw some three people pouring oil over some small pots rolled around the pagoda. I watched them closely and a little while later, asked if I can try. Burmese people, being very friendly, rarely say no, i guess :-). I got kind of excited to see all these lit around later (they said at 7pm).
 
 
After pouring the palm oil, next, we put in some yarn on to the pots. The yarns of the 4 adjacent pots should meet on one end so that lighting will easy.
 
 
At this point, I met this old local guy who was helping out (It seems he was also accompanied by some teenagers). He spoke good english, so had quite a conversation with him. According to him, though he may be challenged by his age, he comes here every sunday to help out in the lighting. He used to work for UN Council and now a volunteer physician to his countrymen.
 
 
 
There was more than just doing the task; The cold floor over my bare feet, while I move from pot to pot, it was just (pardon my word) mystical.
 
 
 
As per the burmese I spoke to there, they do this every sunday (and friday too I guess). I highly suggest visitors to try this.

Tags: schwedagon pagoda yangon myanmar

About limbonis


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Myanmar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.