Existing Member?

Makalu- nearly making Basecamp

Makalu- the black

NEPAL | Tuesday, 8 January 2013 | Views [160]

Nature takes you through her best sides on this trek, from the sweaty dusty red earthed lowland up to the abodes of the Himalaya. Trekking in Makalu is remote and rewarding. The new road is never far away the first two days. From Num we plunge down 1000m to the river and then we regain the same inly this time it's up up up.

After the village of Tashigaon there will be no more permanent settlement, only sherpa people who open their Kharkas ( summer grazing huts) as simple teahouses. Up and down seem to be the way. Snow under our boots when we pass the Shipton la, move fast otherwise the snow will turn to ice.

Mountains rising up on both sides as we now climb the valley while the Barun Nadi river roar and makes her way down.The barren land of the mountains, there are only a few brave tree lingering on curled up in resistance. We have the basecamp as a goal but the last two teahouses on our way up there are closed so we are going for a hard day of whatever we get.

It's us and the mountains we are all alone for us this is the top of the world as we know it.

We are rewarded we get to see the majesty of the towering peaks and the Makalu.

The clouds start to roll in as soon as we decide to turn back. We are surrounded in deep fog of milk clouds and we are making our way down reminding us of the fragility of anything constant.

Making basecamp didn't even seem important anymore, we were high on clouds cruizing down to our teahouse and a Dal Bhat.

Tags: makalu, nepal, trekking

About lifethroughalens


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.