Existing Member?

Adventures

On the road in Vietnam

VIETNAM | Friday, 9 May 2014 | Views [446] | Scholarship Entry

The sun was yet to rise over the horizon, but we could feel the nuclear heat, that was radiating from the vibrant city. The traffic in Ho Chi Minh was almost unbearable with scooters loaded with chickens to trucks and buses, driving in the wrong lane against the traffic.
Few hours (white hairs and mini-heart attacks) later we found ourselves on the highway to Mui Ne. Most of the time the road was passing by endless fields of lush greenery and dragon fruit trees. However the quality of the traffic didn't improve much. All we could here for the next twenty kilometers were the different variations of various vehicle horns.
We reached Mui Ne covered in yellow dust (with numb buttocks) and with enviable hair style. The coastal city offered us a shelter for the night and some fancy dinner options (because where else you can find crocodile or mice for dinner.)
We welcomed the morning sitting on the top of the red dunes in the dessert near the city. This was the main attraction that draw hundreds of tourist, hungry for adventure and new experiences (and maybe grilled crocodile meat.) At the horizon we could see the South China Sea's waves crashing on the shore.
We hit the road once again and headed towards Da Lat. We wanted to drive near the coast, so we diverted from the main road and took a less known one. The road was unpaved and we were driving painfully slow. But this wasn't a bad thing, as we were able to appreciate the white sand dunes, that were standing tall from one side of the road, and the pristine beach from the other. Kilometer after kilometer we drove deep into the country and the desert started to change its colour from white to grey and brown.
Soon we lost the coast from our sight and we entered a small village. We were greeted by a group of young children, playing barefooted on the dusty street. We were passing through small wooden buildings without windows, with wide open doors. Old Vietnamese ladies were looking at us, with sparkling eyes filled with curiosity, while rocking in their chairs. The teenagers were all gathered in a small room filled with worn out, colourful school desks. They interrupted their English lesson for few seconds, enough for them to gaze at the strangers passing through their village.
Soon after we left the peaceful village we reached the main road that was going to lead us to Da Lat and our next adventure.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lifeswanderlust


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.