Existing Member?

Life As I See It

Life Aboard the Falkor

USA | Tuesday, 22 April 2014 | Views [180]

      As we continue our course into Saturday, the sun begins to rise over the Pacific Ocean and the islands appear magnificent in the distance. The seas are calm in the morning bringing many of us to our feet after being seasick all night in the rough seas. The long nights consist of laying in bed listening to the sound of the waves smacking the side of the hull sending the vibrations through your bones and gazing at the stars twinkling in the night sky through our tiny porthole. As the sun sets and rises, students continue to take shifts in watching the magnetometer, gravity and multi-beam data. And as the day continues, most students find a comfy place to lay their heads for a few hours. The library onboard offers a nice, cold,quiet place where we hang out watching movies, reading or playing games. The observation deck gives great views of the open ocean and surrounding Hawaiian islands along with a nice breathe of fresh air. If you watch the seas closely, you may spot a whale breaching in the distance. In the evening just after sunset, our fellow PhD student, Kendra Lynn gives her last talk about the geology of Lanai and kaho'olawe. An excellent wrap up to our trip at sea. As the skies darkened that Saturday night, the seas became rougher but the Falkor continued it's journey through the Pacific Ocean. Life at sea is a rude awakening for some but a feeling of contentment as the waves continuously break against the vessel. 

 

 

 



About lifeasiseeit-wanderlust


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.