Existing Member?

Adventure awaits

Feary Death Road

BOLIVIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [138] | Scholarship Entry

Bolivia. The notorious Death Road. Sure, it might not be off of the beaten track, but a "must to" none the less. Many frightening tales has spread their way through the backpacker’s route, adding to the enticement of this terrifying road.

La Paz is a crazy city with a tempting nightlife, thanks to the party hostels, young and irresponsible backpackers. Much self-control allowed me to get a very advisable good night’s rest before I embarked on my cycle quest the next day.
I got on a shuttle on a very early and wet morning, alone, thanks to my friend giving me hundreds of firm no's every time I tried persuade him to join me on this amazing adventure. He didn't bite. Sure I had my doubts and fears as I am an accident expert, falling at any given opportunity.

Met 5 fellow adventures on the shuttle and off we went. We arrived at the starting point, with all the other tour groups getting dressed and ready to go. I'm trembling, telling myself it is the cold, not the fear. The first half of the cycle trip is on tarmac, slight downhill with quite a few bends and turns and tunnels and wreck less drivers. People zooming excitedly past me waving and smiling, me praying just to make it to the end scratch free.
After surviving stretch one, we shuttle a bit more and arrive at the death road. Now, you have the option to shuttle down or bike down. Seeing that my troop mates are all in the super cycle lead, I could not face the humiliation. On the bicycle I get and here we go.

Again, I get left behind. People cycling past at hell's speed on both sides and me just trying to keep control of the bicycle, trying to miss all the ominous rocks. The road is narrow, the cliffs are steep and the wet short turns nearly claimed my life twice, but all and all the road is not that scary. It is long and I prayed for it to end every split second of the way. But eventually we reached the end, me reaching a slightly higher speed than a slug, feeling triumphant. I made it into a few of the scenic group pics allowing me to boast to my friends, Miss Courage I am.

Back in the shuttle. Time for lunch and a nice swim to clean off the sweat and dirt. Home.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About liani


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Bolivia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.