Existing Member?

Make it real

a Stranger

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [102] | Scholarship Entry

I bit my lips nervously, hastily tied up my wind-tousled hair and rushed to the airport.
The coolness of air conditioners never felt so pleasant, saving me from the scorching Los Angeles weather. I felt like a piece of bread when it dries after being forgotten on a table. The AC cooled me and I started looking for a seat.
And there it was. Next to him.
The man was dressed casually, as if he had just left the house for a walk: a light green T-shirt with a cartoon character, beige shorts, summer slates, and a bright red, like a beacon, small backpack. The most intriguing thing to me was his languid, childishly naive stare. I found in his eyes a look full of inexplicable anxiety and excitement, as he stared off in the distance. What were they waiting for?
The stranger must have sensed my restless eyes. He suddenly asked me: "Going to New York?"
People say five-minutes are enough to get to know someone. This stranger set a new record. As it turned out, I was sitting next to a psychic, who had a spiritual business in Hawaii. After some success, he got bankrupt and now intended to find solace in his parents’ home in NYC. Always a skeptic, I thought to myself, “You never know what may come up with this kind of an eccentric.” Then he asked me, "Do you have a friend named Laura?"
At first I thought there is no such Russian name, so I instantly said no. A minute later it struck me. This past summer I made a new friend from Romania - her name was Laura!
Looking at me, he added that I had worked with kids.
Goose bumps spread throughout my body while questions began to bubble inside my head. How did he know that I had offered help for children in hospitals and orphanages?
A window seat is the best place on the plane to take the last glance at LA and thank it for the diverse experience it offered me. The typical nostalgic yearning caused by the last moments of an adventure swept over and I felt sad.
All of a sudden I saw the psychic! It's hard to express how shocked I was when realizing he was about to sit next to me.
The people you meet shape your experience; they affect the opinion you form of places you visit. I believe you don’t meet them by coincidence.
We were silent for the entire flight, so I feel like I missed the opportunity to ask him something important.
What was the purpose of meeting him?
I will never know the answer. Ever since that flight, I promised myself to follow one simple rule “Never miss a single moment. Everything happens for a reason!”

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lianagareeva


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.