Existing Member?

Peaceful Travels

Finding Inner-Peace at the Boudhanath Stupa

NEPAL | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [227] | Scholarship Entry

It is unlike anything I have ever laid eyes on. Dominating the skyline of Kathmandu, the Boudhanath Stupa exhibits a unique, other-worldly beauty. The first thing I notice is the prayer flags lining the stupa from top to bottom as each coloured square flutters peacefully in the breeze. Everything else seems hectic— the crowds, the sounds, the smells. I can’t focus and, at first, I wonder how anyone can find inner-peace here.

An elderly woman faces the shrine. She holds beads in her hands that are clasped together in prayer fashion. The woman’s eyes are closed, she whispers a prayer and surrenders herself to the stupa. I watch her. She looks so peaceful. Determined to be like the elderly woman, I stop in a shop and pick up some prayer beads. I do as she does. I search for the peace she has found. I pick up a traditional Bodhi seed necklace. I walk around the stupa a few times trying to drown out the noise and the traffic. I repeat a mantra in my head, the only one I know— Om Mani Pädme Hum— as I massage the beads in my hand.

Suddenly I am awakened. I am the woman I strive to be. I look around. Tiny shops enclose the stupa from the busy streets. Large crowds of people are walking by— men, women, Monks, children laughing and prancing around. Dogs are barking at each other, swarms of pigeons are flying passed, smoke and the strong scent of juniper lace the pathways sanctifying the area. I smile. The sun is shining and the world is alive. I am uncertain of how long I stood there chanting my mantra. Time is no longer an object. I’ve found my inner-peace.

In order to find your inner-peace at the Boudhanath stupa you must do two things. First, stop off at one of the many shops and pick yourself up some prayer beads. Find beads that speak to you directly. There are dozens of shops to choose from and hundreds of unique beads. Once you have your beads in hand, walk around the stupa maneuvering the beads in a circular motion to help you breathe, to help you focus. Drown out anything that distracts you and just take in all the beauty. Find a chant that appeals to you and repeat it as you walk. Once inner peace is found, climb up to a roof-top restaurant for a cup of tea and enjoy your surroundings!

A peaceful gem hidden between the bustling and often frightening streets of Kathmandu, the Boudhanath Stupa is certainly a place to explore the culture and beauty of Nepal and to be one with your inner-self.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About lexielou


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.