Existing Member?

The Amicable Adventures of Ichabod Crane and his faithful sound recordist/food tester, James Dandy An honest account of my current sweltering experiences in the not-so-geriatric-friendly city of BrisVegas

A 'Superbad' Night

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 3 March 2008 | Views [654]

Greetings readers!

Won't bore you with the same "I work and sleep, therefore I am" story but thought it might amuse a few of you to hear about my recent Saturday night.

The night began as any other, a 'quick visit' to the twins' turns into a three hour guitar hero marathon as I was determined to beat Twin 1 at Pro-Battle at least once. That didn't happen. Distraught and depressed, Twins have idea that this pain of loss can be eleviated by alcohol - they'd be right. An hour later, we've totally abandonned guitar hero and answering our hunger pangs, venture out in search of the 'nearby' pizza place...
It then dawns on us that with every pizza, a DVD must accompany, so we tell the counter lady to hold the order for ten minutes as we 'dash' to the 'closeby' store (actually about 4km away). Counter lady agrees and says she'll see us soon...if she only knew. We begin a valiant attempt at sprinting up the road, only to stop after 20 metres, whereupon, Twin 1 is violently ill but assures us post-Exorcist hurl, that she's "just fine." One hour later, after stopping to dance to every loud car that drives by, or in my case, attempting to moonwalk, we finally arrive at Blockbuster, only to be greeted by the greasy black fringe and friendly snarl of the emo chick closing up the store. Emo chick gets nasty and tells us to hurry up and leave, prompting me aka' Agent Provocateur' to begin dragging out our borrowing process as long as possible. After half an hour of trying to decide between the feel-good comedy of the year 'Mystic River' and the perverted 'History Boys', we get both, pissing the Emo off further and inching her closer and closer to the razor blade. Making our way back home (or in the direction we think may lead us there), we're soon lured in by the glowing sign of the nearby Mobil servo - at this point, extra large slushies seem like a pretty good idea. An hour and a half later, we've successfully hailed down every bus that's passed us on the way back to the pizza joint and successfully boarded none of them.
We get back to the pizza place at about 10:45 after first leaving the house at 7, twins are showing signs of fatigue and twin 2, slips on the step up to the store and falls back, dragging us down with her. Twin 1, now very angsty, volunteers to go claim our order, only to be told that our order had been cancelled as the lady was convinced we weren't coming back. Twin 1 feeling the world is against her tonight, begins weeping about how she hadn't planned for her night to be like this and if the lady only knew how far our pilgrimage for the DVDs had taken us. Lady, now close to tears herself, feels compelled to not only give us our pizza free but with dessert as well, hugging twin 1 and telling us to try and have a good night.

Seeing as the night is young (as are we), we decide to go stargazing from the highest hill in St Johns Wood. Unfortunately for twin 1 and I, our slushies have different plans and we leave them halfway up the hill. A real blow to morale, we are soon cheered by the sight of a party of 20-somethings and soon I have taken over the music and our trio starts busting our signature dance move - in about 10minutes we have about 15 folks (desperately trying to cling to their youth) asking us to teach them and we happily oblige so long as we're paid in beer.

Leaving the party the pizza's finally remembered and we sit down to eat, although now none of us are really hungry so we decide to see how the rents are getting on. Running or rather 'falling' back down the hill to the twins' house, I suggest we drive their pickup (complete with winder)round - twin 2 volunteers to drive and we sit for about 5 minutes waiting for the car to start when twin 1 who hops out of the truck, trips on the problem - the engine is in the driveway.

Making the mutual decision to call it a night, we discover that we can't get into the house because it's locked and with god only knowing what time our parents would be back to let us in, we decide that there's nothing for it, we'll have to sleep on the catamaran. We go inside the house for supplies, dragging out all the bedlinen to then realise that the house, is in fact open...meh...

The next morning we would be discovered mosquito-bitten, cut and bruised, twins heavily hungover and me strangely amped and ready for night 2.

It was indeed, a superbad night.

Tags: Misadventures

About lewija08


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.