Existing Member?

"Why I love Kenya"

Seven days in Kenya

KENYA | Friday, 8 May 2015 | Views [245] | Scholarship Entry

The Swahili word “Karibu” is equivalent to the English “welcome” or the Amharic Enkwan Dehna Metu. If one lands in Kenya, one will hear this word mentioned thousand times a day. When Kenyans say 'Karibu', it is not from force of habit. They say it from the bottom of their heart.
Despite their economic performance that is tardy in picking up, the vicious circle of wars and civil wars that plagued them, Africans knew the true meaning of “Karibu”. Their hearts are always open to outsiders. This is exactly what I witnessed in my brief stay in Kenya.

My appreciation for Kenyans started from Addis Ababa Airport when the Kenyan Airways' ticket officers and flight attendants began treating me as if I were an honourary guest.

Kenyans attach great value to tourism. It is the second source of foreign exchange earner for them and as such it contributes a lot for country's GDP. Nine marine parks serve as a habitat to millions of sea creatures. Kenya`s wilderness areas are famous known worldwide.

The striking experience about Kenyan wildlife,which got me wonder-struck,began unraveling starting from Severin Safari Camp in Tsavo West National Park. In the camp I found myself in a state of mingled ecstasy and fear. My ecstasy resulted from feasting my eyes on the wonderful view of the landscape,greenery and the wild animals that freely passed by my transparent tent in the safari camp . I was never out of Adids Ababa, a city where I was born and brought up .That was why I felt a strange fear welling up in me. If at all I had an exposure to wildlife it could be none other than to ' The National Geography' documentaries. I think that was why I spent the whole night panicking in my bed. For an urbanate like me, the chirping of birds, the darting of little squirrels, lizards, the fearless birds that attempt to go for my breakfast on the table, the crocodiles that bask under the morning sun in front of our camp fuel one's fascination.
The white sand and palm trees along Diani Beach have a lasting impression on a city-boy like me. Believe me I am not exaggerating thing. I saw it was on movies beaches or oceans.That was why, when I found myself on Diani Beach and saw the Indian Ocean at a close range, I was jumping and shouting like a baby. Can you imagine what it feels like for a person who grew up in a landlocked country? Wow..! I can't tell you the ecstasy watching an acrobatic dolphin making a somersault in front of the boat, I was aboard.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About leulseged


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Kenya

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.