Existing Member?

Freedom in the middle of nowhere

The little joys of Berlin

GERMANY | Tuesday, 13 May 2014 | Views [1425] | Scholarship Entry

The adventures await each time I come to this wonderful city. Dynamic, full of art and nice people – Berlin can‘t leave you indifferent, no matter if you come here for an hour or live here for years.

It‘s been my 4th time this May and I can‘t describe the experiences in 2500 characters – a book or a nice long conversation (possibly in ,,Dussmann‘‘, meanwhile enjoying the nice bookstore atmosphere) could make the idea clearer, but I would suggest just take your suitcase and dive in the heart of Berlin! And no worries if you arrive at midnight - if only you manage to ignore the guilt and promise yourself to extend the distance of daily running (which is a pleasure if you follow the banks of Spree) , you can get the most amazing doughnuts (cinnamon one, mmm...) right next to the famous TV tower.
I wonder if it‘s the city‘s energy or just the personal attitude, but I haven‘t found the other place where I‘m so tireless. Sleep ceases to exist, because the excitement to see the new day is just bursting inside and you wake up with early sunbeams, no matter which day of the week it is (at least my average of sleep here is never more than 5 hours).
And people! The friendships are so easily found – you just blend into the crowd (and I‘m not talking about the groups of tourists - the crowds of art lovers in surrealist exhibitions or treasure hunters in Mauerpark‘s flea market is much nicer) and start talking with the person you find interesting – in German, English, random words in Czech or simple sentences in French – you‘ll find many people to practise your language skills with and I was surprisingly lucky this time – I even found a Lithuanian girl, it was such a pleasure to communicate in mother tongue after a long time.
Muuusic! Who hasn‘t found the pleasure of the sounds so fastinating yet, should find their way to Germany‘s capital too. This time I couldn‘t match my travel dates with the musicians I love tour dates (which is often the case of me, freezing in Warsaw on 14th of December or ,,roasting‘‘ in the middle of summer in Czech Republic), but the street musicians here are to be found everywhere – entering metro or just walking around in the Tiergarten (the most lovely green spot in this huge city).
In the end of the 3 days visit here I find my camera‘s memory card full, my head buzzing with new ideas and my luggage full of the packages of Knusperflocken (everyone just absolutely has to taste it). I wonder now - when is the next time?

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lettersfromaroundtheworld


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.