Existing Member?

When There Is A Will There Is A Way

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Wednesday, 4 April 2012 | Views [175] | Scholarship Entry

In many travel forums I find out that Penang has become a tourist attraction in Malaysia. Many backpackers have visited this place. So, I was wondering what was up there? It turns out Penang is famous for its UNESCO heritage site and also the culinary tour. So, here I go.

Georgetown is the capital city of Penang. Overall, Penang is a small island. You can just go over the island in one day with bus. The bus goes all over the island, and is very cheap. If you love photography, you will find many heritage buildings here with cool spots to capture.

On the first day I visited Bukit Bendera and also Batu Ferringhi. Bukit Bendera or called Penang Hill is a hill with the height of approximately 800 M above sea level. It is pretty high and we can see Malaka strait on top of it. I went up to hill by train. Malaysians will have to show their IC and they just need to pay RM 8. Foreigner is charged for RM 30. The view above the hill is amazing. You can see the whole Penang Island, Malaka strait and the bridge that connects Penang and KL. I made a lot of photo shots up there. Meanwhile, Batu Ferringhi is coastal area in Penang. Many luxurious condos and hotels are located here. The area is pretty quiet. I must say this is the high class area in Penang.

Penang’s main transportation is bus, it is called Rapid Penang. The rate is between RM 2 up to RM 3. There is also free shuttle bus to explore the heritage sites in. The buses are air conditioned and are very clean. I spent very much time on the bus to explore the island. The city is not a busy one and life is pretty laid back here. I found out that at 10.00 PM, the road was quiet and many shops were closed already.

I did much eating in Penang. And the food is pretty cheap. The prices are ranged from RM 1 - RM 8. These were what I ate: Nasi Tom Yum, Laksa, Tea Tarik, Nasi Kandar, Nasi Lemak, White Coffee, Roti Canai, and Murtabak I love Malaysian food. Penang is obviously the food heaven of Malaysia.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About letsgetlost


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.