Existing Member?

Lets Escape

Stranded in Wayag, the Last Paradise on Earth

INDONESIA | Friday, 2 May 2014 | Views [161] | Scholarship Entry

The boat did not deck near the seashore as it supposed to be. The captain anchored the boat right at the side of the limestone hills which was towering in front of us. Yup, no shoreline, there was just hunk of giant rock stood against mottled clouds in Wayag, Raja Ampat, West Papua Indonesia.

Our eyes were glued to its top. With nearly 80 degrees of slope, we would rather call this creeping rather than climbing the limestone. One by one, all the passengers jumped off the boat to the hills side. Our sights would not only count on the eyes. Our hands and feet should also be able to sort out, which rocks can be gripped and is to stand on. We must ensure, which rocks were sturdy enough to support our weight.

Ok, the first five to ten minutes, we hiked slightly bending. The terrain was relatively humane for super amateur climber like me. We could still laugh and joke. In the next minutes our bodies were forced to uprise. The slope degree became increasingly extreme and slowed my pace. For couple of times I frantically seek for stable footing. Stomping on the wrong spot , I would definitely free fall.

The karst was pretty steep and sharp-edged. Each time I gripped, its etched surface scratched the palms. Some footing were also found unsteady.My eyes once glanced down and noticed how I had been climbing high enough. My body turned shaky, I started to wheeze and this heart beat faster.

The day was getting scorcher, I kept on lifting my body up and continued to creep up. Grumble sworn on my lips to express the frustration and fatigue that I felt. I sped up after some of friends who had reached the top shout aloud.

"Oh my God!" I heard more than one person uttered the words up there.

And not long out of it, slowly one by one, heads and backs were popping out behind the rock. People were busy being astonished by the scenery. As if nature does not allow me to set the breath, it made me choked when reaching the peak.

It was the most unforgettable yet stunning 360 degree panorama I had in my life. Pieces of limestone island were floating conically like a beautiful clusters. Gradation of tranquil lagoon was transitioning white, green and blue color perfectly. Clear skies with patchy cloud backdrop adorned magnificent Wayag that afternoon.

No wonder if this place is recognized as the last paradise on earth. It's natural habitat seemed hidden, innocent and untouchable. The time suspended as if letting us much longer enjoying the heaven.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About letsescape


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.