Existing Member?

safari

The Land of Serpent Gods....

INDIA | Friday, 5 July 2013 | Views [281]

Nagapattinam- a name that no Indian can forget because of the devastating 2004 tsunami that hit its coast and washed it away. This small fishing port was one of those places on east coast of India which bore the burnt of the natural disaster. But today it stands on its own recovering from the bruises of that fateful day.  Nagapattinam gets its name from the word nagur which means the land of serpent gods.

Nagapattinam has been ruled by many local and foreign powers. It has been controlled by the Dutch, Portuguese and the British. It’s a cultural as well as a religious hub, with ancient temples in its vicinity. One of the most visited places Nagapattinam is the Vellankani church also a pilgrimage for Christians across the world.

Nagapattinam has a long stretch of coast line along the majestic Bay of Bengal. It also has one of the most dynamic and active fishing harbour. So you would be able to see and relish a variety of sea food. If at all you are a sea food freak- you would enjoy eating out at the little shacks created on the beach. Experience the actual sea, get hold of some fisher man and ask him to take you in to the sea but make sure you know how to swim the sea is rough like a Bengal tiger.

Do visit the light house and the museum, and also make sure that you get into the local transport at least once, its real fun to see the how colourful the place and people are. And if you manage to cross a wedding caravan it would be even more fun to watch them pass by.

There are certain places that one shouldn’t miss when in Nagapattinam and that are the 17th century Dutch fort at Tranquebar, a renowned sufi shrine at Nagore which is also an Islamic religious destination and the only temple dedicated to Shani (planet Saturn) in India is also close to Nagapattinam.

Tags: british, dutch, portuguese

 

About leslinbastian


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.