Existing Member?

Down Under Journey A middle aged lady's excellant adventure downunder

From Cairns to Tully to Townsville, oh my!

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 8 December 2014 | Views [363]

I am sitting in my room at Yingala Dive.  This place is about 250 miles from Cairns.  Backing up, the dive boat docked in Cairns this morning, Monday, Dec. 8 after covering something like 1700 nautical miles over the course of the week.  The final night was a wonderful barbecue (I even ate kangaroo), as well as some fresh sushimi from a mackerel and tuna that was caught on our way back.  Can't get much fresher than that - and did I mention the fresh new Zealand oysters?  I have added some pictures from the last day and night, and yes, that is me in the dive gear, ready to dive.  I got my car this morning and made the trip down To Alva Beach, where I will do my final two dives of the trip, Thank God!  I stopped about half way in a small town named Tully, which is home to the large boot.  Not sure what that was about, but the town itself resembled a Western town circa 1920, much like some of the small, old townsite West.  The dive is a wreck dive named the Yongala, which was a passenger steamer that sunk back in the early 1920's.  The sea creatures are said to be huge in that this wreck is a good 45 minutes off shore, so there are no reefs and the huge Pelagius are attracted to the ready source of food.  Hope to get some good photos from someone diving.  I am knackered as they say down here so I am going to make my way to the community bath for a much needed shower.  Cheers.

About leslieb

me 55 years ago

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.