Existing Member?

Down Under Journey A middle aged lady's excellant adventure downunder

I am alive

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 5 December 2014 | Views [362] | Comments [1]

Catching up. It is Friday, and I am into the 5th day of diving.  It has been in a word, spectacular!  I have seen things I have only read about - sharks, Manta Ray, giant sea turtles, nudi branchs, giant sea clams, fish of every shape, size and color.  Day one for me was stressful, in that I was using the rental gear, which was completely unfamiliar to me and had trouble with weight, buoyancy air consumption, you name it.  Things calms down on Wednesday because I changed gear, weights and wet suit.  Much more comfortable, so was able to finally begin to enjoy the dives.  I will admit that this is fairly arduous.  Even though I have hundreds of dives and various circumstances, nothing could have prepared me for this.  Entry's can be jumping off the side of the boat - while it's moving ("live drop"), getting into a tender for transfer, or, by simply jumping off the back of the boat, by far my favorite, although the live drop is pretty fun. I haven't taken many pictures, since all you can see, in all four directions, is water!  No boats, no land, the occasional sand island, and of course, the Aqua blue water,indicating a reef.  We start at seven a.m. for the first dive, then breakfast, another dive, then lunch, another dive, then snacks, another dive,then dinner and finally the night dive, followed by dessert.  The food has been wonderful, home style, but European - Curry, lamb, chicken, steak, always some sort of potato and veggie. And some fabulous dessert.  They have a shirt that reads "dive, eat, dive,eat, dive,ear, sleep and that about sums it up.  we made every type of dive imaginable - drift dIves, deep dives, wall dives, and one in whichthe ending resembled a washing machine as divers were caught in a bottleneck of two converging currents.  Thanks to my best dive buddy ever, Kiana, I missed the wash cycle and went straight to rinse! here at some pics from the flight unto the boat, and a couple of the view outside my window.  Cheers for now.

Comments

1

Sound like the trip of a lifetime! checking your "blog" eveyday....keep posting!

  kathleen Dec 7, 2014 1:06 AM

About leslieb

me 55 years ago

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.