Existing Member?

In the Extranjero

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

USA | Sunday, 1 August 2010 | Views [295] | Scholarship Entry

I’m living in Santa Monica California this summer, a 180-degree turn from my drizzly Seattle stomping grounds. So, when mulling over the theme “Local Encounters,” my first frantic thought was “But…I’m not a local!!!” I went threw a slew of ideas: Mexican food carts, traffic, a set of stairs used by suburbanites for their weekend workouts. Then finally I thought, when do I feel like a local? At the Venice Beach drum circle.

 

I began by writing the voiceover that would keep my piece focused. From there, I mapped out images I would want to pair with my script. I spent a few days shooting the drum circle, and then one in Venice collecting stock footage.

 

The biggest challenges I faced were time and equipment. Having scrapped my original “stair” idea, I was in a crunch to get enough footage and edit. Using a flip camera to film my documentary proved difficult when trying to capture steady images and to record the voices of the interviewees.

 

My goal as a documentary maker is to delve deep into untouched subjects and areas of the world while giving them a beauty and elegance that could rival any Jean-Pierre Jeunet film.

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About leilacolsen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.