Existing Member?

Leah Living Abroad

One Year Anniversary

CZECH REPUBLIC | Friday, 24 February 2017 | Views [631]

I missed it by a few days, but just over a year ago, I moved to Prague.  It’s been an incredible year filled with laughter, learning, adventures and more.  I won’t say that everything has been perfect, but it’s been pretty damn close!

Life in Prague is quite wonderful—better than I could have hoped for.  I spend a usual week teaching 15 hours and then working at a pub 12-35 hours (depending on the week).  My students are pleasant, interesting and fun, and I get to meet a lot of different people at the pub as well.  On average, I work around 35 hours a week and then spend the rest of my time relaxing, spending time with friends and doing other things I love (reading, sleeping, watching movies, being outside when the weather allows, etc.).  It’s been an incredible adjustment, as my life in the states led me to believe that life would only hold work work work work because that’s what I had to do to pay the bills… but now that I’m adjusted, I’m not sure I could ever go back to that lifestyle.  It's such a wonderful feeling having so much free-time and still being able to live comfortably and save!

I realize I haven’t posted in a long time, so here are some highlights from the last 6 months: 

  1. My friend, Cassie, came to visit and we went to Salzburg, Austria.  We went on a Sound of Music tour and it was SO much fun—the entire bus sang the soundtrack while we traveled to different locations for behind-the-scenes information/trivia and photo ops.  We met some great people to explore the city with and spent a rainy day touring the Hohensalzburg Fortress—complete with a medieval armor and weapons exhibition!
  2. Another friend, Josh, was traveling around Europe, so we met in Dubrovnik, Croatia, for a long weekend.  The coastal, medieval city was absolutely beautiful!  The Adriatic Sea is a deep, rich turquoise and the waves crashing into the Old City’s walls felt… timeless.  Josh and I ate amazing seafood for every meal, walked the walls of the Old City, had our pictures taken on the Iron Throne (parts of Game of Thrones are filmed in Dubrovnik) and watched the sun set over the city from atop Hill Srdj.
  3. I spent 6 weeks back home in the USA on holiday.  SO wonderful to see friends and family and meet my new baby niece for the first time!!  Thanksgiving, Christmas and everything in between was extremely special and I’m so thankful for that time at home.


And some current observations:  I forgot what winter can be like in places that actually experience real winters.  Winter is cold.  REALLY cold.

I think I was spoiled living in Atlanta for 6 years where I could get by with my fleece jacket and the entire city would shut down at the mention of snow flurries.  But now, I once again live in a city that experiences the full force of winter.  I’ve been wearing my winter coat (thanks mom) since October and I thankfully found a pair of boots while I was home on holiday (these are part of the daily dress code as well).  I keep looking at the 10 day forecast, expecting to see that it’ll be warmer next week and then reminding myself that I’m not in the ATL anymore.  Sigh.

But here’s the thing:  it may be winter… but I live in Prague.  I mean really, if I have to endure my least favorite season, I might as well do it in Europe, right?!  Sure, it’s cold like reindeer poop (a Czech saying when it’s SUPER cold haha), but all I have to do is look up to be reminded of the beautiful city of Prague and how incredibly lucky I am to live here.  And you know what?  Winter will end… eventually… and then I get to experience another spring, summer and fall here.  Sometimes it’s hard for me to believe that this is actually my life.  I am astounded by—but also so thankful for—the path my life has taken.

 

 

Tags: prague, travel, winter

About leelee1586

Utah, USA, 2015

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.