Existing Member?

Not all those who wander are lost

Sun and....?

SOUTH AFRICA | Saturday, 3 May 2014 | Views [134] | Scholarship Entry

South-Africa maybe inspires stories of wild animals and the big 5 for some people, for some it is the name of a developing country striving to row with the big boys. For some it is the bushveld, for some the beaches in the Natal. South-Africa is multi-cultural as its facets of nature. We have sun, lots of it. But we lush green mountains and wide open velds. We have bustling cities with huge skyscrapers and 5-star hotels. We have country villages, small-town love and of course the beautiful natural scenery.

When we drive from our small town in the Freestate, down to the Tsitsikama you see the world change with every hour. You see flat velds that stretch for kilometres. You see mountains, you see waterfalls, you see forest. You see sheep roaming in the sunrise, just as you open your eyes from a very uncomfortable sleep in the back seat. You look left and you see a game farm, and up ahead the mountains loom. We are diversity.

We as South-Africans get to experience nature on a totally different level. For us an elephants and lions are part of our country. Outside the small town where I come from, we have several game farms with lions and all kind of animals, and in the morning, just as the sun rises you can hear them. The rumbling of a lion. Where else in the world do you get to experience that?

We have the Kruger National park, we have Birds of Eden, we have wolf sanctuaries and Monkeyland. In South-Africa you can walk next to an Elephant. In South-Africa we have the Cradle of Humankind. We have traditional cultures that still live like their ancestors did generations before them.

South-Africa is diverse in language, culture, nature and people. We have big and small. We are a country with a rich history and great stories to tell.

I have alway wondered how ended up here. Amongst such diversity, is me. A simple person wanting the world. I guess the universe knew how to give me a head-start. I think being here as given me the perspective I need to go into the world and experience. I did not end up here, this is merely the start.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About lee1308


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.