Existing Member?

Leanne With a year off work. I am off to South America to experience living in country so different from my own.

Mt Kinabalu

CHINA | Tuesday, 8 November 2011 | Views [830]

You might notice a lack of photo’s, that’s because I spent the last two days shrouded in mist. So obviously the scenery was rubbish but the experience was interesting. I paid 850 Ringget ($260) for 2 days and 1 night. I was picked up at 7.30am Sunday morning, along with 2 men we were driven two hours to the bottom of the mountain to meet our guide ‘Nice’. He quickly handed us our packed lunch (sandwiches and fruit) and joined us in the taxi to the entrance of the national park. Five hours later we had risen to 3272m (you start at 1866m) and walked only 6.5km, the altitude makes your heart pound and of course it becomes more difficult to breathe but a nice slow ascent means no headaches. The climbers we met descending sadly informed us that they were not allowed to climb to the summit due to bad weather.  Laban Rata turned out to be a very well run well stocked restaurant but the hotel part had no heating or hot water.  We tucked into a 4.30pm dinner then in bed by 6pm, amazingly I slept at this time. I did wake up around 10pm and heard the sheets of rain pouring down outside and snuggled in feeling sure we wouldn’t be allowed to make the ascent either. Before I knew it the rest of my dorm was stirring at 2am to get a report from their guides and eat a first breakfast. I was right the ascent wasn’t possible and I really wasn’t that fussed, the conditions were pretty terrible. Suddenly 3.30am it was on and we only had 2 hours to get to the summit to see the sunrise, a little more than 2km away and an ascent to 4095m. With only the light of my head torch to guide my way (thanks Steve and Julie for that birthday present)  I start the lonely arduous task. I quickly realised that I was severely underequipped for the journey. My wet weather gear was a 5 Ringget pancho, my warm clothing was a huge sweater, gloves and hat borrowed from Lucy the owner of the homestay I was based in KK, I did have good shoes but they were soon completely drowned in water. After a couple of flights of stairs I got to the ‘white rope’ initially this was used to absail up the face of a rock but mostly it was the only source of guidance. Our team of three quickly abandoned each other, the Italian was determined to be first to the summit, the lovely guy from Hong Kong and the guide were really slow going and I was plodding along in the middle. I was checked in at the summit hut and the cold really set in, at 5.40am I had 200m to go the viewing point and if there had been a sunrise I would have missed it by 10 minutes,  the Italian descended saying he couldn’t stand it any longer, as the arrangement was to descend as a group this meant I had to turn around (thank goodness) we descended with the pale morning light giving us some confidence.  Back at the hotel I scrambled to find my dry clothes and after a quick second breakfast headed back to bed in an attempt to warm up. The descent was a muscle tingling, knee crunching 4 hours, I was grateful that Lucy had convinced me to take a hiking stick with me as I am happy to report my knees are fine and only have only slight muscle soreness in my thighs, though this may grow as the day goes on. 

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.