Existing Member?

Leanne With a year off work. I am off to South America to experience living in country so different from my own.

Sanya

CHINA | Monday, 17 October 2011 | Views [632]

Dadonghai beach.

Dadonghai beach.

This is my last week in China so it’s only fitting I spend it in China’s ultimate holiday destination – Hainan Island or sometimes called China’s Hawaii. I have been to Hawaii and I can only see vague similarities. I feel like I am getting a decent farewell because a couple of great things have happened, the top of my list is that I have finally been reunited with my two favourite tea’s, blueberry and a mixed fruit, I haven’t seen blueberry tea since Harbin and the fruit tea was last sighted in Beijing. I have no idea why I can suddenly buy it but I am stocking up. The other great thing is the hostel is in a street that sells a Guilin noodle breakfast I have come to enjoy in Yangshuo and there is also a place that sells the chicken dumpling soup that Nina enjoyed. Besides thinking about my stomach the location of the backpackers is pretty good, very close to the happening beach, in the middle of the Russian hotels and restaurants. The Russian contingent is huge signs and menus are Chinese and Russian no English. Today I took a bus trip to the next bay along (Yalong), the resorts own the beaches but it’s not really policed so I just wandered past the sign saying resort guest only. The beach is a bit nicer and like the one here it’s a people watching paradise. A couple of my favourites are the ‘matching pyjama sets’ these consist of large groups (20) Chinese people all dressed in gaudy shorty pyjama’s with patterns on it, I tried to get a photo of a couple while pretending to photograph an island, love these people always happy, friendly and good natured. Of course there are hybrids of these, such as matching T-shirt sets or simply couples wearing the same tops. Another group I love to watch is the ‘floating ring set’ these people obvious can’t swim (as most Chinese people can’t) the scary ones are the ones that declare they were taught to swim one afternoon!! Anyway these people step into their ‘floating rings’ and brave the waist deep water, honestly I won’t turn my back on an ocean that is bringing in a set of waves to the shore but this ocean I don’t even bother to check anything, they are not really waves just big ripples. The ‘floating ring’ set squeal and laugh at every ripple then look around like they are have just survived something extraordinary. Probably they look like me when someone understands my Mandarin.  Then my absolute favourite the ‘big kids playing in the sand’, no child anywhere to be found and these people are well past their 20’s. I found a memorable middle age couple studiously building an ordinary sand kingdom. He was working with a small plastic spade on the moat at the water’s edge and she had the bucket and her hands to construct the castle, I would have loved a photo but thought it would be too rude.

Last night I was invited to join a group of friendly Chinese people for dinner. We caught the bus into Sanya city and enjoyed and all you can eat cook your own type place. We started with a couple of stir fries then moved on to some hotpots. Loved the little bottles of cool drink, the dinner cost 59 Yuan each ($9) which strangely I thought was expensive as usually when I go out with Chinese people the prices are suddenly lower, maybe it’s because we are all tourists here.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.