Existing Member?

Leanne With a year off work. I am off to South America to experience living in country so different from my own.

San Lorenzo

CHILE | Sunday, 14 February 2016 | Views [492] | Comments [4]

Saturday 13th February

Back in Cochrane again after four nights camping in San Lorenzo. My group of friends and Russell left camp together to take the easy 2-3 hour walk to base camp only to find the first group up the hill abit and unsure where to go, so we actually stayed together until morning tea then they disappeared as usual with the assistant guide. The walk in was lovely, following a glacier river until we finally got to camp and it was literally at the base of the mountains, actually if you hike over the range to the left you would be in Argentina. The Refugio is just a spot to eat meals, we all preferred to pitch our tents. We wandered about the base but couldn't safely cross the river to get to the lagoon but got plenty of good views. The next day was a free for all, and people just wandered off with vague plans to reach the highest possible points. Iris and I found the rock scrambling too difficult so Bob and Nick continued on. That afternoon Jo came back with a badly lacerated finger, she needed stitches. The two guides did nothing. Bob, Iris and Derek walked her out then drove her back to Cochrane for medical attention,  it was fractured and to late for stitches. On the way out Iris face planted with a full pack and ended up with a black eye. The rest of us walked back as well but at a slower rate then watched the rain and waited for a roast lamb feast the farm put on for us. Nick was keen to walk back to the cars to collect a couple of things so I elected to put up our tent, after an hour and a half I decided he was gone too long. I didn't bother with the guides but I asked Derek to come with me as he had just walked out the others only three hours earlier. I also alerted Steve and he was following us in ten minutes. Derek and I made it to the car and no sign of Nick, on the way back we found Steve who informed us that Nick got back to camp just as he was leaving, apparently he had been lost but managed to find his way back. So we are seeing some really amazing scenery, it is remote we aren't seeing any other tourists, do I think the guides know what they are doing? I think my actions speak for themselves. In fact if I hadn't found him on my return to the farm I would have gone to the farm owners for additional assistance.
We are in Cochrane resupplying for two nights then we are splitting into two groups and walking from opposite ends of the walk. This will be a relief as our group will be the six friends and the better 'guide'.

Comments

1

Unbelievable. I mean really, don't they have any notion of responsibility or even fears about liability? I thought Willis' were bad, but this is far worse than we experienced (except for being out of pocket $10,000).

  Nina Feb 18, 2016 6:03 PM

2

OMG you guys travel safe and I really mean that. Stick together. I hope things have improved over the last 5 days. All well here.

  Stephen Feb 18, 2016 11:42 PM

3

Ian is apalled and outraged. We must post some of these issues so that others can find out about Willis Walkabouts and Russell Willis BEFORE they book. He has got worse! I remember being stuck in Kununurra, no car, no phone, no money, no clothes after a 21 day Wiĺis trip. Ian had his driver's license. I had one credit card thank god. We didn't even have medicare cards, thank god they treated us at the hospital. The tour leader did nothing. Russell Willis did nothing.

  nina Feb 21, 2016 9:39 AM

4

I really hope things have improved for you Leanne. Keep trusting your instincts. All is fine at 'home'.

  Kerry Feb 28, 2016 1:17 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Chile

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.