Existing Member?

Leah Down Under

long weekend down south

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 2 December 2008 | Views [642]

Seb and I spent last weekend with some friends about three hours south of Perth in Western Australia's wine country - Margaret River. Luckily, Seb has a friend with a holiday house there, so we had some very nice accommodation. A very peaceful setting with gorgeous, leafy views of the country and, finally, lots of kangaroos were ours to enjoy for three full days. (Lots and lots of roos. Even some joeys, or babies, inside the mamas' pouches, with their ears poking out as they bounce along.) The weekend basically consisted of wine- and beer-tasing, chocolate-eating, and cheese-grazing.

One winery in particulary - Vasse Felix, the area's first - was especially beautiful. And the brand new Duckstein Brewery, in a chic, modern building set next to a dam and surrounded by vineyards, was a great place for an afternoon pint. Seb even managed to get in some surf time (which means I finally got some more beach time). On the way back to Perth, we stopped off at the coastal Canal Rocks. The ocean comes in and sprays up on the rocks, and there is a nice boardwalk to get across the water. Great views abound from the top of the rocks. Pretty cool.

Lots of photos in the "down south" gallery.

Tags: kangaroos, margaret river, perth, western australia, wine country

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.