Existing Member?

"The further I go, the closer to me I get"

Let your memory be your travel bag.

USA | Saturday, 23 May 2015 | Views [90] | Scholarship Entry

There is nothing more exciting than being late for your flight as only then your destiny prepares you for the most extraordinary meetings.
Fort Lauderdale International Airport: It’s noon and I am having a quick conversation on the terminal bus with a pleasant guy from Arizona and I’m already running to the ticket counter to catch another flight. I could not have imagined seeing that person again; but I’m so thankful to my hunger that we end up walking in the same hot-dog joint and talking about how much we miss healthy food.
Later I found out that Joshua (that was the guy’s name) along with two of his buddies have just completed a cross-continent bike trip: from Argentina to Colombia. Isn’t it cool to leave routine life for three months and get away with people that you barely see throughout a year? Yes, it is cool!
Three hours of waiting went as fast as fifteen minutes. Josh was making some notes on his pocket Moleskine and looking through the old ones which he made on the road. One thing I clearly remember is when he was telling me how much he misses his travel mates even though they’ve just left one another. They’ve slept in the same tent, brushed their teeth together every single day of travel, shared every emotion. He said that it feels like he spends less time with his own wife than with Luke and Tim on that trip. After some time I went on the road trip South West of the US with my friends and I had exactly the same feelings – endless appreciation of not only nature, sky, Earth but every single minute you’ve shared on the road with great people. Since then I always carry with me a small paper pad for incredible memories.
I’ve mentioned to Joshua about my dream plan to cross Bering Strait from Alaska and reach Moscow, exploring my homeland on the way. And the most valuable thing is that after one year since we met I was very glad to see the piece of news about the same; recently posted on my Facebook timeline by him. I’m happy to see pictures of his own garden, to read updates on his travel blog.
He once gave me inspiration which doesn’t leave me till now. And I think life is given to people to share that inspiration. During small trips you usually get the most of it. I will always admire people like Josh who are full of enthusiasm and extreme lust for life.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk” – that’s what Jack Kerouac said in my favourite book ‘On the Road’. Hope Josh will read this as promised.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About le_plus_curieux


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.