Existing Member?

The Great Adventure

North of the North

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 27 October 2008 | Views [523]

After nearly 3 months in New Zealand, we finally leave Auckland.  After we had settled in and found jobs, we found that we didn’t have any time to travel, thinking that a weekend was not long enough.  But this weekend was Labour Day weekend, and we finally made our escape. 

Day one of this adventure was an important lesson in taking things as they come.   Thanks to a flat tire we missed our afternoon bay cruise, but were upgraded to a longer one two days later in better weather.   Because of the holiday weekend, every hostel in town was booked, but we got a sweet discount on a nice room in a quaint little guesthouse.  As it turned out, when we left Auckland and it was pissing down outside, a lot of would-be vacationers cancelled their trip because the weather forecast was “custard”, while we enjoyed unexpectedly sunny Northland with considerably fewer crowds. 

Sunday we woke early to join our guided tour of the very tip of New Zealand.  I was told we would be off-roading it half of the time, so I was rather confused when a full sized coach pulled up in front of the hostel to pick us up.  We jumped on the bus and began our drive north, taking a scenic drive through a forest and stopping to look at one of New Zealand’s few remaining ancient kauri trees. 

We continued north all the way to Cape Reinga, the very tip of the country, where the Pacific Ocean collides with the Tasman Sea.  This is a sacred area to the Maori people, who believe that this to be where their souls come when they die, the gateway to the afterlife.  I wish I could give a figure in miles per hour, but suffice it to say that the winds were so ferocious that at times I feared I would be swept from atop the bluff deposited out to sea, which, I think, is more or less how the Maori say that it goes.  I wasn’t, but Ross’s hat was lost to the Pacific. 

After fighting the winds back to the bus we continued on our merry way to go duneboarding, which was, for many, the much anticipated event of the day.  We drove along the road we came through on, and then all of a sudden we were off the main road, driving through Te Paki stream cutting through the sandy landscape.   We pulled over, each grabbed a boogie board and climbed to the top of the nearest sand dune.  This could have been so much cooler than it actually was if it weren’t for that pesky wind again, which assaulted me while I was waiting in the queue, sand stinging my skin and blinding me from both what I assume would have been a fantastic view of the Tasman Sea and my path down the dune.  Eventually I sandboarded myself down with my eyes all but shut, tumbled off my board and into a bush.  I spent the next few days finding ever more sand in my hair, pockets and bra. 

Our journey continued down the stream to the inaccurately named ninety mile beach.  The beach is actually a registered motorway, but only at low tide.  Many cars have been lost when the Tasman claims them at high tide.  In our full sized coach, which clearly had a little something extra under the hood and which never ceased to amaze me, we hauled ass down the beach, pausing to check out the skeletons of abandoned cars and a herd of wild horses in the nearby dunes.  As it turns out, we were fortunate in our trip; we were the only bus who didn’t get stuck in the creek at the entrance to 90 mile beach.  I was disappointed, actually, getting stuck or rescuing someone else who was stuck in the sand, I feel, would have added an extra element of adventure.

The next day we went out on a dolphin cruise in the bay.  Possibly the highlight of the day was that it was Labour Day and I was in the sunny and gorgeous Bay of Islands, and getting paid to be here.  I’ve never had a paid holiday before, and I’m surprised that my first should be a week into a temp assignment.  Just one thing I love about New Zealand.  We found a small pod of Bottlenose Dolphins and they swam alongside our catamaran for a while.  Then the onboard marine biologist gave the ok and a dozen or so excited tourists donned wetsuits snorkels and flippers and jumped in the water.  Put off by the commercialism and questioning the ethics of it all, I chose to forgo the opportunity to swim with wild dolphins, which has always been a dream of mine.  And so it came to be that I stood on deck and watched a boatful of floundering idiots as they fulfilled my lifelong dream.  They seemed to have a great time, and I’m sure they thought it was magical, but from my vantage point, the whole thing looked absolutely ridiculous, and not at all what I’ve been dreaming about my whole life.  One after another they jumped into the water, while the crew pointed and yelled “Over there! Swim that way!”, and off they swam, while the dolphins, who are far more adept swimmers, popped up every now and then to humour them.  Sometimes they were swimming with dolphins, but most of the time, they were just swimming with each other.  Then, when some of the swimmers and the dolphins had gotten a good distance away, they called all the swimmers back (“Come back!  Come back!  Get on the boat!”) coasted twenty yards and then set them loose again (“Go, go, go!  That way!  To your left!”)  Some of the swimmers didn’t seem like they really knew what was going on.  In the end, I did feel that the whole situation bordered on harassment, but then again, I suppose the dolphins could have just left if they had wanted to.  It’s one of those grey areas with wildlife viewing and animal rights where I don’t really know where to draw the line; where my desires and my beliefs contradict each other.

We spent the afternoon killing time until our bus arrived.  Not wanting to spend any money, and not having enough time to go for a hike, we spent time sitting on the beach and laying in the grass in the park before getting on the bus and heading back to Auckland, to work, and to four more weeks of (hopefully less) itchy feet.

Tags: beaches, boats, dolphins, sandboarding

About lburton


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.