Existing Member?

Adventures of Laurie and Matt

Whitsunday Islands....

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 26 October 2010 | Views [309]

We got off our bus from Townsville and arrived at Airlie beach the place to be to get to the Whitsunday Islands. We hadn't booked anywhere so went to the first hostel we saw which was a YHA. We booked to stay in a dorm and chucked our stuff in the room, had a shower and went with Gem to try and get some standby rates. We found a travel agent and got a trip for the next morning on a sailing boat with 14 people on it for $300 each, we booked it and we were staving so went to a place which the hostel had given us free pizza vouchers for, we couldn't say no to free pizza and headed over there.


When we were walking over to the place we bumped into our friend Kristen who we thought was on her boat trip already, apparently she was a day early and she had a free pizza voucher too from her hostel. So we all went for pizza and had to wait about 2 hours for it, their way for us to keep buying more drinks while we waited for the pizza.


We went back to the hostel as we still had to pack our bag, we were given a small blue bag which we could only take on. We got an early night as we had to get up early to get to the boat.


When we got up in the morning we chucked our stuff in the storage and checked out. It was a gorgeous day and we had to walk about 20 mins to get to the harbour, perfect start.

When we finally got to the terminal, there were a few other people who were waiting to go on the same boat as us, of course with their goon the same as ourselves.

The owner of the boat then came over and introduced herself and took us to the boat, she wasn't coming on the boat. She introduced us to our crew which was two young Aussie lads.


We got chatting and made some friends with the people we were on the boat with and we sailed over towards White Haven Beach which took a while to get to.

Went we arrived we saw a big boat with a helicopter flying above it taking stuff over to the island, it looked like they were installing a toilet.

We also saw some logger head turtles pop their heads up for air every now and again, eventually we got onto a smaller boat to be taken over to the island.

We walked through a little forest to get to the other side and my we were being attacked by horse flies – another insect added to the annoying insect list.

But then we came out to White Haven Beach and it was breathe taking – it was beautiful. The sand was very hot though so we had to leg it over to the wet sand.

Most of us were straight in the water, it was like bath water, lovely and warm.


We were on our own until some day tour boats came over to see the beach. It didn't bother us, but the mad tourist guide did. There were baby sharks in the water which would swim past you now an again, but then this tour guide came running in shouting towards his tourists to come and see them and scared them all away!

There were also some sea eagles flying ahead too, the tour guide went over to them and started chucking some kind of meat up to them. But the birds had no interest in him, it was quite funny, serves him right for being cocky.


Soon after they all left and we all had the beach to ourselves again, we had a radio which we had to us to call one of the lads from the boat from, then they come over and took us for a little walk to a platform where we got some amazing pictures of the Whitsundays.


We went back on the boat and had some lunch and drinks, we then sailed to where we were sleeping for the evening. It was amazing seeing the sunset, we even saw some dolphins too.

We were all chatting about our trips and drinking our goon and soon it was dinner. After that we all went back on deck and watched the stars, it was amazing to see without any light pollution and there were hardly any clouds either, you could see millions of stars.


That night when we went to bed and I struggled to sleep that night since the boat was rocking a little to much and I felt like I might fall out of my little cabin bed. I could also see the stars through the window above me so made it more difficult as I couldn't stop looking at them. Eventually the rocking did help and the lapping of the water soon made me doze off.


We were up early for breakfast as we were going snorkelling in the area where we stayed the night.

We got our gear on and had to wear stinger suits as it was then the beginning of the season and had to wear them for precautions.

It was amazing, there were so many fish around and they were very curious of us so came right up to us and the camera, we got some really good photos.

We got back onto the boat and had some tea and coffee and sailed over to another place where we could go snorkelling which was just a strip of sand, it does connect an island but since the tide came in it covered the walk way to get there.


We took some stuff to play with too which was a frisbee and a cricket set, we put our snorkelling stuff on when we got over to the little sand island. There wasn't many fish there but something even better, turtles!

They were hard to spot at first because they were right near the coral and blended in really well. They were going under bits of reef to stop floating up so they could sleep. They came up every now and again for again so we got to swim with them then.

We then played a bit of frisbee on the beach before realising it wasn't working out to well as the frisbee went flying right over into the water, we weren't really suppose to go into the water without our stingers suits.


Then we all played cricket, most of the boys joined in but I was the only girl to play, we all had a really good laugh, I don't think they thought I was going to be as good as I was haha.


Soon enough we were back on the boat again and had a buffet lunch, we were then sailing back to land as we said goodbye to the Whitsunday Islands.


We said goodbye to the crew and to some of the people we were on the boat with who where carrying on with their travels. The rest of us were meeting up for drinks later that evening.


After we had our well deserved shower we headed down to the bar to meet up and have some drinks, some of the guys were leaving that night to catch the overnight bus (which we would be doing the night after). Me, Matt and Gem were shattered but had a quick drink at the hostel before going to bed.


The next day we were expecting Kristen to be coming back, she was now coming with me and Matt to our next stop Agnus Water – Town of 1770. She came later in the afternoon and told us about her trip. We just had a chilled out day and headed down to Airlie's man made beach for a look.


We had to put our stuff in Gems room because we already checked out that morning and our bus wasn't until midnight. We had a couple of drinks as we wouldn't see Gem again and watched tv in her room. Eventually it was time for us to go so we grabbed our stuff and said our goodbyes to Gem.


The bus did turn up late, all we wanted to do was sleep. We then left Airlie Beach and down to Agnus waters – Town of 1770.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.