Existing Member?

Adventures

Sant Andreu

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 23 July 2012 | Views [638]

I thought it would be best to start with the area that we stayed in. We stayed in the north of the city in a quaint little place called Sant Andreu. The town itself is still very much an up-and-coming area, and the area surrounding our hotel seemed very much under development, but never the less, it had everything you could want in a village. There was a huge mall next door to our hotel, which was fine for getting breakfast in the morning, but it was the place we had put last on our list of things to do, the kind of place you went on the afternoon of the last day, which is exactly what we did.

The centre of Sant Andreu is a wonderful and vibrant place. My previous holidays in Spain mainly consisted of staying in resorts, and my last trip to Barcelona was mainly packed with everything you were expected to do as a tourist. I wanted somewhere largely untainted by tourists and the village offered the exact opposite to the 'norm' and what I was searching for.

Sant Andreu was full to bursting of bakeries, cafes and delis. Everything I love. Pantaiberic was by far my favourite deli, and one evening we bought a cheeseboard and deli meats and savoured every bite. Every morning was full of the smell of fresh bread, and each evening the village came alive with locals gathering in the main square. There was an abundance of fruit and vegetable shops, and it only made me annoyed that I couldn't buy it all and get cooking.

If anything, this place has everything you could want in a community, because it was exactly that, a community. People stopped on the street and took time to chat to each other, they gathered on benches in the evening and conversed. One evening, a reading group filled the square with chairs and stories.

Tags: barcelona, city, deli, food

About lauren_travel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.