Existing Member?

Wally's Wanderings

The Past Few Months

NETHERLANDS | Sunday, 11 January 2009 | Views [394]

Dear all.


Over the plast few months I have been very busy. It's been hard to write blogs about boring everyday stuff. I got up, went to work, came home, ate dinner and went to bed. Reteat ad nausium. You get the point.

What I can tell you about the past few months and my boring life is that I've been working two jobs. One as a server/cashier in a Pizza joint (think dominos but they also serve pizza by the slice) and a dollar store (think the reject shop). Life's been pretty dull really.

Both jobs are fun and I plan to go back to them, even just for a little while until something better turns up. What I can tell you though is the differences in culture I've found in Canada.

As a cashier, I deal with a variety of people on a day to day basis. I also handle a lot of cash, asthe job title would sugest! lol!

Here in North America, tax is NOT included in the price as it is in Australia. In British Columbia, there are two taxes to pay. 5%GST and 7%Provincial. Each Province (state) has a slight varience in their tax. Generally between 6-9% depending on what the provincial government decides for the time. So, I go shopping and budget as best I can. It's when I get to the checkout that I pray and hope my maths is correct. I have to add 12% to EVERYTHING. Almost NOTHING is exempt from tax. Fresh Food still has 7%, but the GST is waived (phew!).

I still don't understand why everyhting is just not labled with the prices including tax. The cash register knows what the real price is... All they have to do is print out the price tags with the tax included!

I guess they just want people to spend more. Greedy Bastards. Though, I guess with the global economy heading down the drain in a hurry, it's not too bad of a plan...

About lauren_koch


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Netherlands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.